what species are in the gmr?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kittiehunternm, Nov 14, 2008.

1. kittiehunternm

kittiehunternm New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was thinking of hitting gmr from 7am till 3pm and i would like to know what species there are in it around west carilton ?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck fishing. If you are talking cats only, then there are abundent flatheads and channel catfish, maybe a blue here and there, but that would depend on how close you are to the OHIO

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    smallmouth, largemouth, rockbass, bluegill, gar, etc.etc. Yeah I'm trying to be funny. I have never fished the GMR before. I am sure there are a few that have.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Smallies, Saugeyes, Channels, Flatheads, Carp, and few Northern Pike can be had in that area. there are no Gar, Drum, White bass or hybrids which are in the lower GMR. right now is a great time to target Smallies and Saugeyes up this way

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    what dinks says also the turtles snappers softshell and leather back as well

6. kittiehunternm

kittiehunternm New Member

State:
    ohio
    well i was gonna go till it started pouring rain last night thinking if it stops raining and starts snowing i might consider it

7. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, it may just be a fluke, but I have caught a white bass around WC, not big by any means, but still a white bass, very well could have been a stray fish though, cause I have only caught the one.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    it would be kind of nice to see white bass near wc more variety there

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think there is much of anything in this area, Mellon has been fishing it for years and never caught a fish:smile2:

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught a couple of them in the Mad river right near Downtown Dayton. they were no doubt fish that have made it down from either CJ reservoir or the "well field" lakes along the Mad. there are no doubt a few but if you plan on targeting them you it may take a few years to get one.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    one thing I have caught in the great miami is large mouth bass as well rick