What sling to buy

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Oct 16, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just finished building my rifle and now i dont know what sling to get i am getting leather for sure to keep it more traditional any advise anyone and also the main reason i am posting this thread

2. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Scott,
    I quit using leather quite a while back preffering the neoprene slings to all others. I spend a large portion of my deer season hiking with weapons and I find that the neoprene grabs the shoulder well and is therefore less likely to slip. It is also dead quiet and provides a padded surface to rest your rifle should you have a rest handy. Another handy attribute is the fact that neoprene will stretch thereby allowing you use the sling as a shooting aid, a good leather sling that is flexible will also perform this task quite well. My biggest problem with leather is moisture, here in the jungle my rifles are often wet for hours at a time and it's easy for mildew to take a hold if you don't keep your gear dry. If your set on leather I think I would choose one of the old military style slings that have the double holes that allow for infinite adjustment and they make an excellent shooting aid.:big_smile: