What sized hook and sinkers are best for river fishing.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    what is the overall best size and named brands hooks and sinkers are generly ideal for all river sizes. and whats the best rig or hook sinker combination works best.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    There is no particular best, it all depends on your fishing conditions. I mostly use anywhere from 3-6oz sinkers, and a Carolina Rig with Eagle Claw 10/0 "King Kahle" hooks.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All depends on the current..I have used 10-oz sinkers before.

4. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm new to this . what is a carolina rig

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Here is the order I do a carolina rig-

Slide my sinker on the line.

Make a leader about 10 or more inches long with 50lb mono line, and tie my hook on one end of the leader and swivel to the other end.

Then you just tie your line to the swivel.

When a fish grabs your bait and runs if you have a baitclicker on or freeliner the fish will not feel your sinker and usually will run better giving you longer to hook him.

Hope this helps, if not I can try to get a picture of the rig.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey thank you man . your the first person to give me detailed info . that i can understand. i usually need some type of picture or hands on teaching . i do very poor at reading directions or advice. if i dont know what its supposed to look like. i dont know if i did it right . i'm trying to learn all the in's and out of catfishing . i want to completly anf fully understand it like and art. so i can learn to tear them up any time day or night .lol

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I add a bead to the line after I slide on the sinker. Some say it helps cushion the not, but, for me, its makes sure the sinker doesn't get stuck on the knot and not slide properly. Either way, it seems to help. Adds a bit of color too. Otherwise, the above order is correct. Its correct anyway, the bead is optional.

Bass fishermen think they invented the Carolina rig, but its been a staple of catfishermen for many years. Another name is fishfinder rig.

The posts that tell you to match the weight to the current are correct. That may mean if the current is strong, you may have to upgrade your equipment to cast weights over a few ounces. If bank casting and trying to get the bait out to the middle of a wide river, or to holes you know to exist, you may also want to upgrade to a long surf type rod.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey man, that is what this site is about, helping each other. I am going to find a picture in a minute to show you of a carolina rig.

The bead, how did I forget about that? It's definitely important, just like you I use mostly because it seems to help make sure the slip sinkers don't get caught on the knot, but it seems if you are using a big weight it definitely helps cushion the knot.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, here is a link to an article I did, scroll down to the very bottom picture, that is a carolina rig, but imagine it without the bobber on your line.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27798

Hope this helps.

10. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

State:
    California
    I have had the most success in mild current with a 2 oz river sinker on a slider followed by a barrel swivel with a leader about the length from the tip of my middle finger to my elbow with a 6/0 octopus hook with either cut anchovies or chicken livers wraped with elastic thread and sprinkled with garlic salt, hope that helps. BTW I dont like the egg sinker (suggested above) because it rolls and falls in between rocks and gets stuck every time I ever used it.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use slip rigs if theres no current and bank sinkers on my mainline with my hook on a short 6'' dropper about 18'' up from the weight if the current is verry strongas for hooks i like 5/0kahles thats about the biggest hook i use

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you are more of a visual learner, I suggest to get as many of the In-fisherman catfish videos you can find. They do a very good job explaining everything you will ever need to know when it comes to the basic fundamentals of catfishing. They will show you different options for rigging up and show you all different types of different fishing scenarios. Plus they puts these tips into practice and you will get to see some nice cats being caught. I suggest to get your hands on these videos. A few that I suggest for sure are: In-fisherman: Classic Catfish, In-fisherman: Catfish Predators on the Prowl, In-fisherman: Catfish Fever and Catfish Fever 2, In-fisherman: A day on the River. This will give a ton of info plus it is good entertainment.

13. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Gamagatzu hooks work for me, but I always sharpen new hooks, they arent as sharp as they could be out of the package. As for the sinker, I agree slipsinkers that get to the bottom, but as light as you can get away with. I mold my own now because rivers seem to like to keep them, and they dont seem very cheap. Youll figure it out. good luck and good fishing.:cool2:

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Probably right on rocky rivers, rip rap, etc. But, if fishing soil bottomed rivers, the eggs tend to do better. However, if there is much current a no roll or disc sinker is better.

15. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just a suggestion. I fish the Missouri River in the St Louis area and I put a 3-6 oz pyramid sinker at the end of the line and place a 6-8 inch drop with a gamakatsu (or whatever) 7/0 or 8/0 circle hook about 12-18 inches above the sinker. That way the bait sets a couple of inches off the bottom and if your sinker does get snagged and you loose it. Chances are you can still land the fish. I have had pretty good luck with that.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    heres a drawing of 2 rigs , i hope it shows up lol

Attached Files:

• rigs.JPG
      rigs.JPG
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Definately research the Carolina rig and learn to use it. You will use it all the time in rivers and lakes. I like the NO ROLL sinkers, which are shaped like a flattened egg, that most of the bait shops around here. As for hooks I use the Gamakatsu circle hooks as well as the laser sharp Khale hooks. Hope this helps.

Wheelmobile07

18. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My buddy and I have also used the kahle hooks They also work quite well.