What size trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Rivercat2, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I want put a trolling motor on my 1860 jon boat what size would I need, it would be a bow mount. thanks for any help.

2. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    a 55 lb would do well on lakes or slow trolling... with a 65 lb you might be able to get on plane.... lol.. jk

i have a 1860vbw g3 and i have a 55 on it and it flys except against a seriously strong wind or current

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i would go with the biggest one that you can afford you can always ajust the speed to fit the conditions you are fishing

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    never tried the 55 before... got a weak 36 up front, and had a switch up front that would turn on the back 36 if I need an extra boost. Saved me from going to the back and firing up the ole 15.

bayrunner ray

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've got a 55lb thrust Minn-Kota. I mount it on the transom with a tiller extension when I'm Gator hunting.

The boat is 20', similiar to a Carolina skiff & it pushes it around very well.

HTH, Elliot

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    My Xpress 18' has a 24V 65 lb Minn-Kota on it with 5 speeds. The first 3 speeds are pretty much useless except in calm winds or zero current, and the fifth speed with throw you out of the boat if you're not careful.

Somewhere between 55 and 65 lbs is where most motors go from 12V to 24V, so that has to be a consideration -- do you want to run a 24V system or stay with 12V?

Also need to consider what you'll use the motor for and the kind of water. Do you just need it to wander around coves fishing for crappie or do you want to use it for "powered drifting" for catfish in a lake? Do you fish calm waters or is there a lot of current?

7. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I will be using it only on rivers and will use it for getting bait and drifting. thanks for all help.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Exactly what I would have said. A 65 would be nice but not worth the extra weight of carrying another battery around. I definately wouldn't go with anything smaller.

9. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have a 55 lbs Minn-Kotea on my 1860 vpld and it does very well. All I ever use it for is bow-fishing. I bought the quick release and that was worth the extra bucks to me. If I want the motor off the front, it takes about 10 seconds.