What size to eat

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by troyedm, Jan 10, 2007.

1. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    what is the best size catfish for eating? i've heard that the really big ones are not that good.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Anything under 10lbs is pretty good.My favorite is 3-5lbers.I throw all over 10lbs back.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea same Catfishjohn said.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the 1 to 10 lbers are the best eating.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It all has to do with where you catch them. Lake cats get so fat that you can not eat them when they get over 10lb or so. But river cats are different. I can catch a 30 or 40lb flathead and the meat is super eating. The tail gets a little red but all the rest is white. Very little waste on a big river cat. I filleted out a 67lb flathead and we got 35lbs of boneless meat. Man was that good eating! We smoked a fillet on the pit and wow!

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ye, i love the steaks off those big yellers, but my preference is a good 2-3 pound channel. ummm deep fried that is.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have eaten some big catfish but my favorite size is 2-3 pound fried with bone in.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I let all of mine go the last couple of years but the 2 to 3 lbers are the best eating to me. I would check your lake or river advisory for fish eating. One rule of thumb if they are glowing when you pull them out don't touch or eat.

9. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    thanks guys now i know what to catch and release.

10. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Here in Wisconsin, I fish a medium size river. For flats, the bigger the better. I have had people think they're eating chicken tenders when I fry some big chunks. Never any leftovers.:wink:

11. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I like 2 to 5 lb. blues and channels but a flathead don't get to big.

12. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ill have to agree with bullhead and coolarrow,, the bigger the flathead the better, and you'll get about half the weight of the fish in good meat,, i dont think you can say that about any other fish

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i eat the 3-6# ers but only a few times a year. like cumberland posted, watch your adviseries, especialy if your feeding your children.

14. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    3/4 of a pound to 5lbs. I never ate a cat over 5 that did'nt have some kind of aftertaste or that was'nt mushy. Eat small thats all :lol:

15. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I agree with everyone for the most part when it comes to channels or blues, I don't eat anything over 5 or 6 pounds, all flatheads are good, and in my opinion they are as good eating as any fish out there that swims, and they don't get musty tasting when they get big, just trim off the red meat. With that being said I still let all over ten pounds go. They are just to much of a treat to catch rather than to eat>>>

16. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i like the fish 2-5lb to eat

17. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    For the channels, ~2.5# is ideal for me. The 7# fish I caught did not have a good texture.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i dont keep anything less than 3 lbs and hevent caught any over 12 so anything goes with me

19. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    flatheads, unlike the others seem to stay good even in larger sizes. I just don't like to kill the bigger ones. There are plenty of smaller ones to eat. Not too small thought with the flatheads or they are just all head. Everyone just has to make their own mind up on this.

20. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    any size flathead is good eating. smaller channels are better than big ones though.
    Lee