What size swivels

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by cliff n york, Jan 22, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use 20lb,and 50lb mono for fishing. but i have questions on what size swivels to use. can anyone recommend any sizes to use

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Spro swivels, size8 test at 50lbs. They are good quality.
    Rosco also make good swivels. Their size 1 test at 150lb. Way more than you need but an easy size to work with...W

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Berkly Mcmahon 1/0 175-lb test.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use 150 lb test swivels, I've yet to have a failure. I use the black ones that are compatible with either fresh or saltwater.

HTH, Elliot

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish with Berkley Big Game 30-50# and I use Brass swivels size1/0-3/0 and have never had one to break. I hope this helps. I have never hooked a 50# flattie either.Still trying.:wink:

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I USE BERKLEY McMAHON SWIVELS SIZE 3. 100 # TEST.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 150# test swivels.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use P-line swivels, 88 and 104 lb test. The appear to be much like the Spro's, but are less expensive.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use about a no 5 swivel.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use gamakatsu spro power swivels in size 2 that are 230 lb. You can purchase them from catfish connection and they are $10.50 for a pack of 50 swivels.

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I only use 25-30 pound Berkley Big Game so I use cheap swivels from Wal Mart, I have never had one break; my knot will break (that has happened) before the swivel so i don't see the sense in buying super expensive ones.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Skilmax, thats where I get my swivels from Wal-Mart! I have never had any to break on me nethier.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its not so much a matter of the swivel breaking as it is of them working as a swivel should. They're supposed to swivel. Barrel swivels aren't as good as some of the other types, much more resistance is required to make them turn. Some turn very poorly. I've seen studies of swivels failing to turn with as little as ten pounds of pressure on them.

The best swivels are probably Sampo ball bearing swivels and bead chains, but those are on the high dollar side. The Berkley's are good barrel swivels, S-pro and the ones I use, P-line, are also good and won't break the bank. There are others out there, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with.

14. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    this might sound stupid, and i've been accused of being it more than once,,, but why do you use swivels?
    i just tie the weight on the end of my line and attach the hook with a surgeons loop about 18 inches up the line,,, never had any probs.and i fish the mississippi river, (lots of current)

it seems to me all the knots to tie the swivels, hooks ,weights,leaders, and what ever, is just another place for failure.
    sorry,, i just don't see any advantage or sense in useing them