What size reel for Ugly stick white catfish rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Feb 26, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have a baitcasting and spinning Ugly Stick white Catfish rod bought at walmart and was wondering how big of a reel would fit on these. I have a Zebco 888 on my baitcasting one at the moment and I was wondering what would be a good one for the spinning rod. I figure that a 6500c3 or 6000 Ambassadeur would be O.K. for these rods but would a 7000c3 or Penn 320gt2 be way to big, I have 2 of each of these reels and love both. I have a few spinning reels that I bought about 4 or 5 years ago from walmart they are abu garcia brands and I believe I have 12 lb. on each would these be to small for the spinning rods or should I buy something different for the rod. I mainly use baitcasting but for small fish or if I want to have fun and try some bass fishing I usually like using spinning + my zebco 888 is mainly for going to places like Carlyle lake dam or other places where I don't care if the reel gets messed up.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a 6000c on mine. And have had no problems with that combo yet. I put a 7000c on it for giggles and it looked way to big and threw the "balance" off in my opinion but, I think it really comes down to personal choice. I have even had and liked a 4600c on the same rod, when fishing for eaters and nothing much bigger.

3. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ya, I have a casting and spinning Tiger 7' rods + a 7' ugly stick boat casting rod for most of my larger reels, I just got overboard the last few years after being here on line and reading all the good stuff about the 7000c3's and Penn 320 gt2's that I had to get 2 of each, I have never caught anything over 8 lbs. but I always tell my wife that if ever given the opportunity to catch a big one then I'm prepared to at least fight the sucker and try to land him.
    I'm thinking about using these ugly stick cat rods mainly for everyday fishing, I really don't have much small reels for eating cat size. However I do enjoy using my 7000c3's for this, it's kind of fun lifting a 2-3 lb. cat out of the water with a tiger and 30 lb. line.
    Thought about getting another zebco 888 and maybe a 5500 or 6500 for normal size eating catfishing. I like the casting reels more but sometimes I like to play and try to catch a bass or two while catfishing from the bank so I think I'll use my abu's for that purpose + if I happen to get a hold of a 5 or 10 lb. cat it should do the job.

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have eight 8' white catfish ugly sticks with 6500c3 and suffix seige orange 20 lb test it took me a while to settle on this combo and a lot of trial and error and money spent .but I have fun catching 2lb channels and can still pull in 50 lber's :0a32:I had a couple more of these combo's (OMO)

5. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Abu 6500 C3's on mine.

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    that seems like the best choice!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can try a Abu 6500C3.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've got a Penn 209 on an Ugly Catfish 7 footer, does just fine. Wish they came in a 10ft version. I just bought a Shimano TR 200 from Bass Pro and want a 10 foot rod for bank and sandbar fishing.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got one of the 8' ugly stick white catfish rods. I've got a 7000 on it. Love it, and it'll cast a looooong way. Seems to be a really well balanced combo.

10. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Abu Garcia 6500. Or If you want the thumb cast get a 6600. Both are awesome reels.

11. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    You can get some decent spinning reels like the Alphas at wally world and spool them with 14 lb test or even ten. Use this kind of combo at carlyle all the time with great success. Maybe this would be a viable option for you then it would still give you some sensitivity in that big rod.

Dru