What size line for trot and jug line drops

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by porboy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hi All, With this heat I am building some trotlines and juglines. I have the mainline already but don't know what lb size or line size for the drops. Could
    you tell me what you all use. Ordered the main line from catline and I still can
    add to the order today.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    # 20 to #25 is all I use. The # 25 is like 190lb test more than plenty.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I use something like #36 for the main line and #12 for the drops.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Don't have any trout lines but I do have a few jugs. I use 80 lb. braided dacron for the main line and the droppers as well. No stretch or kinks in the line, works well...

5. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    #18 black twine I think. You can get it at walmart all rolled up in a package with the catfishing equipment area.

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use the #18 tared line for drops and main works really well in catfish section of walmart

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If you decide to use clips or line barrel swivels, make sure they are good quality and of heavy duty quality.

8. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used the #18 Tarred Nylon Twine for the main line on my jugs with 80 lbs mono for the drops and the anchor line. I also used trot line clips and it makes it much easier to add or remove leaders as necessary. The anchor is also on one too.

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ill tell you the best line ive found. I was at Cabelas one day, and they didnt have any traditional trotline string for some reason. They sent me to the duck hunter section and I found decoy line. Its black and braided and strong as can be.

The advantages of this line over typical nylon are: It every bit as strong and seems a tiny bit thinner. Ive had this stuff get hung, and I couldnt break it no matter what I tried. Its braided not twisted(I know you can get braided nylon, but its hard to find in my area). It seems to be hook resistant in that Ive never had a hook accidentally go into the line and get stuck.

Since I bought my first roll 2 years ago ive never bought anything else.

I use it for both my main line and my drops.