What size line for big river waters? What pound Test line do you use for fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kycatman01, Mar 5, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what size line do most boc members use in a big river such as the ohio river? i would appreciate the info.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use 40# test trilene big cat solar green line for catfishing.
    For paddlefish I use 80 # test braided dacron line.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    30-lb test berkly big game, for most all of my river fishing.

4. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i use 25# biggame. i was using 40#ande but the biggame casts much better.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    25lb stren mangaflex saltwater

6. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Right now I have 20# but I think I am about to rise it about ten pounds.

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I use 30# green Ande for the Trinity

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've been using 30# stren magnaflex saltwater line. I'm ordering Berkley Big Game Solar Green in 30# & 40# from catfish connection this week.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I switched to Yo-Zuri 40# fluorocarbon last year and boy is it some tough stuff! It's got just enough stretch that it is very hard to break off a snag, but that can be good when you are fighting a huge cat! But not enough stretch to interfere with a good hook set. Have any of you guys tried it?

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I used 20 lb. Cajun Red Cast, 20 lb. Berkely Big Game (low vis green), and 20 lb. Berkely Big Cat line. I have to say, Cajun Red Cast is some tough stuff, as well as the Big Game. They are about equal in terms of quality in my opinion. I am switching to 30 lb. Cajun Red Lighting this year, and it looks even better than the cast (a little stiffer, thus harder to cast, though). I also am going to try out P-line CXX Xtra Strong in 20 lb. on one of my rods. If I were to recommend anything though, it would have to be the Cajun Red. Its some tough stuff, abrasion resistant, and I think the line breaking strength is above what is marked. Good luck trying to break off from a snag without a pickup truck ;)

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I mostly use 25 lb Test Stren but sometimes I use 20 lb Test Trilene. :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

12. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I use 65# Power Pro for mainline, 50# Trilene Big Game for hook leaders and 30# Stren for weight drops here on the MS River

13. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    When I'm Fishing For Channels, I Use 14 Lb. And 17 Lb. Cajun Lightning On My 8 And 9 Footers. When I'm Fishing For Flatheads, I Use 40 Lb. Cajun Lighting On My 10 Foot, Next To A Current Break Or Deep A Hole. If I'm Fishing Next To A Snag Or Submerged Timber I Use Stren Superbraid 50 Lb. So I Can Horse 'em Out If I Need To. That Cajun Is Some Tough Stuff. I Caught A 15 Lb. Carp On 10 Lb. Cajun. That Was A Great Fight. I Was Sure The Line Would Snap By The Bank. But It Didn't. It Held Up Very Well.

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    30lb berkley biggame, or 50lb or better spiderline or power pro braid.In my opinion braid line is the way to go.

15. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Generally I use 30# big game on all of my big cat rigs.

16. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'm using 30-80 pound mono of varying name brands with 12-14 pound test going to the weight drops.

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use 20 and 30# cajun red line,i also have one with 30# big game line.

18. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Last year and up until now I used 25 and 30# Big Game with an 80# gorilla braid leader, but now I have switched to 30 and 40# big game since my fish have been getting bigger and bigger, last fish was just 4lbs shy of 60lbs, I cant wait to break the 60lb barrier.

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I use 30 lb mono of various brands. Mostly I use the omniflex mono from walmart. I have caught loads of 20 and 30 lb fish on it and several 40 and 50 pounders. In the past year I have yet to have a fish break me off out of hundreds of cats. I like the cheaper line because it allows me to cut out any nicks or abrasions with minimal cost. I also can respool anytime that I feel I need to. You wont be doing that with the costly superbraids to often. Vern

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    65 to 80 pound powerpro. When hooking into good size fish in current you better have something to slow him up long enough to get the other rods in and throw anchor. I lost three really good fish before i decided to step up and pay for some decent line. Since then i've only lost one because of extenuating circumstances, basically line failure due to me trying to winch him in before being hit with some rollers(tug waves) otherwise i'd had that fish. Step up and get quality, you can't go wrong. If it'll hook up and bringem in on the mississippi it ought to be good enough for the ohio!