What Size Kat Bobbers for flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ShilohRed, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What size Katbobbers is everyone using for live bait for flatheads?
    I was thinking a FatKat bobber,but wondering If a smaller one would be better where they can not feel it as much? Guess Wildwolf will have what ever size.
    Doing some research for next spring.
    Pete

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am very interested to see where this thread goes. I have never used a bobber for flatheads

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have never used the katbobbers before but I buy some big ones that are plastic and resemble a smaller crab trap float. I have used them to hold up a pound bream with a 8 oz weight. I have only caught a couple flatheads up to 15 pounds on a float so it wouldn't even bother a big flathead...

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use them all the time to float the bait rite up to the wood pile and that lets the bait hang down at the depth u set it. Check out the Library there several there u can make any size . I think I use my 6" more then any other

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i just tie on small balloons when i want to float a bait. it will slide to adjust and you can just cut it off when you are done. you can put those little light sticks in them too if you want at night. with any moon at all though, you can see a white balloon a long ways.

6. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
  7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks guys..
    Not looking to make any floats. As Wildwolf Products, had the best ones I have ever used. And for the price. I sure can't make them for what he charges. Also he is a Sponsor of the board also.
    Just looking for ideals and how to;s on fishing them. Like the ideals of letting the float get you near the wood. But still outside of it. I have used the Fatcat bobbers in a 6" size. For fishing live baits up to a pound in the boils at pickwick. They are killer on the 10 lb stipers. Still waiting to get into some of the big blues and flatheads there at the dam with them.
    Also the catbobbers will even set the hook when a fish goes to pull one down. Not sure the other's will do that.

getthenet how are you fishing the catstalkers your talking about? AS in where and how deep are you allowing the bait to be under it?
    Thanks again guys..
    Pete

8. KatKatchenKrew

KatKatchenKrew New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i normally just usr a bobber that will support the bait. that simple. The only problem with it is ive had cats strong enough to put so much tension on my line the cork flies off because of the line being strectched out so hard on 40lb test, it breaks off the top and bottom line clips on the cork

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Pete, get ahold of Gene by phone or e-mail and he will answer all your questions on the bobbers or anything else he has. he is the man to ask about those bobbers , he will steer you in the right direction brother.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Bryan. I have talked with Uncle Gene. We talked about this at the Pickwick gathering while we were out fishing. Just trying to get all the info I can on bobber fishing for flatheads..
    Thanks again and hope everyone is catching a lot of fish.
    Pete

11. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i have caught lots of big flats using a bobber, thats my favorite way to catch the bigguns, i have caught them in less then a couple feet from the surface,in 20 plus ft of water

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like to float live bluegill or creek chubs, and sometimes cut bait down the riffles under a cat bobber. Some of the riffles I fish are 2 to 5' deep the small river I fish has places in it you can wade from bank to bank.