What Size hooks?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by trapperP, Oct 2, 2008.

1. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What size hooks do you use, say for shrimp, for live bream, for large minnows? I seem to hang more fish on smaller hooks but also lose a lot more - my per centage of hooked fish to landed fish goes up with larger hooks.
    Any one else seeing this?
    Also, I see all the references to using chicken livers - anyone besides me try using chicken hearts? They seem to work and they sure are tough!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC from sunny SC. I use Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles exclusively, with about a 95% hookup ratio. They work well with the above mentioned baits. You DON'T set the hooks using circles. You just pick the rod up and start reeling after it loads up with a hit. Another option with live baits is the eagle claw 10.0 King Kahles. These hooks have a longer shank that works well with live baits. Both hooks are great, but I'm hung up, pun intended, on Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles. Hope this helps.
    Bill in SC
    BTW: Any meat or other weird things (grapes, deer liver/hearts, etc) will catch catfish, but I use live bream, eels, or other natural to the water baits and fresh cut baits. I would only use chicken parts if NOTHING natural to the water was available.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My only advise on this would be to not fear big hooks , LOL . I've been using 6/0 circles here lately with cut bait but I would use bigger if I was using a larger bait.

Now if I'm using a live threadfin I will use a size 2 kahle hook

-Jim-

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use anywhere from 3/0 to 8/0. I just match the hook size to my bait size.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i use mostly 141 kale 6/o but do keep up to 10/0also use 8/0 circle hooks for cut bait:roll_eyes:

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. I use nothing smaller then a 4/0 if it can not get that in its mouth do not want it

This is what I would recommend using

Sm. cut bait and minnow 4/0
    lg. cut bait 6/0 to 8/0
    live gill 8/0 to 12/0 depending on the size of your gills

Good luck

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    For over one year now I have been using 6/0 Matzuo Octopus Sickle hooks drift-fishing for channels, using shrimp or cut-bait. These hooks are incredibly sharp, and any more now I don't bother to set the hook when a fish strikes, because as long as the fish has the bait in it's mouth, it's caught! The channels that I catch weigh anywhere from 1# up to 12#. When drifting for larger blues, I use the 7/0 Matzuo, which is the largest size available in this type. I suggest that you give'em a try!

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC! I use gamakatsu 6/0 and 8/0 circles for cut bait and live bait.

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    don't be afraid of usin big hooks, if those cats can get a big sunny in their mouth that hook is no problem, i used to use 5/0 but with big sunnies i'd have some hooks pop out, then i switched to the 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle and have alot more solid hookups

10. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    for shrimp i use a 1-3/0 works very well on cats in the 1-5 range,1 use 4-5/0 for 2-3 inch blue gill and anything bigger circle is th wat to go.hope this helps.