What Size Hooks For Trotlines?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by lklutts, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    What size hooks doyou guys use on a trotline? I Just rigged one with 2/0 and they seem to be small. Havent done it in afew years, so I am just not sure. thanks Len

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    anything from a 2/0 to 7/0 should do ya fine. Welcome to the BOC

3. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I've used 8/0-10/0 circles,5/0-7/0 kahles and king kahles 8/0-10/0 with whole or cut shad.These have all served very well,hope this helps

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    on the few that ive done ive kind of rotated with differnt sized bait, i think the one i did most recently had a pattern of 3/0 circle with a shiner, 5/0 J with a cut piece of chicken, and a 7/0 circle with a bluegill or a perch since i had 3 packs of differnt hooks and i dont like the hooks the trotlines i buy come with they say theyr 4/0 but they look like a 2/0 and the offset it rediculous. i cought some nice channels and one gar, the cats tasted pretty darn good to;-)

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, I mostly use a no 2/0 hook u get better bites.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use anywhere from 4/0 to 8/0 just depends on conditions and what type of bait im using.

Wheelmobile07

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. This says it all. One can go up or down in size but its what works best for you under the conditions you face.

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've always used 3/0 - 7/0 Kahles, depending on bait size.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used as small as #6 when set for bait such as Eels,Bream and small bullheads.As large as 22/0 for North Atlantic trawls which is just a big saltwater trot line.For freshwater mostly#1 up to max.2/0 as I only fished for the smaller Cats in fresh water.Ocasual 5 lb.max for stewing.The rest small enough to fry whole.peewee

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i dont trotline anymore, but when i did, i mainly used 8/0 j hooks and caught em from 1 to 45 pounds on live perch. tip: i wouldnt use the cadmium hooks. had lots of those straightened out.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    #18 fly hooks....:smile2:

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Its according to what you are fishin for. If you are fishin for big cats i recommend the biggest hook you can get with the shortest and thickest shank. the Mustad '' hoodlum'' hooks are good and the bass pro cat maxx hooks are good too and you can get them in different sizes. I wouldnt use anything smaller than 5/0. And 9/0 should hook any big fish that bites it.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've trotlined the KY River for goin on 30 yrs and during that time my hook size has progressively gotten smaller. 1/0 Limericks is what I used mostly last year and I just ordered some 1's to try this season. I baited the 1/0's with redworms, nightcrawlers, catalpa worms, minnows, crawdads, and dough baits. You catch more fish with smaller hooks, period. And don't be fooled, the smaller hooks will still catch big fish, they just won't hold big bait. Whenever I get some gills, I'll put a 4/0 or 6/0 on here and there for flats. Limericks are not tempered and are preferred where I'm fishing because of the snaggy river bottom. If snagged, you can pull hard enough and they'll straighten out and come loose, then just take your leatherman and form them back to position. Done it a hundred times.

I recently read a good article by a pro trotliner and in it he said he preferred 1/0 and 2/0 for rivers and 4/0 for lakes.

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I make my own trotlines and never use less than a 6/0. I normally use from 6/0 to 11/0. I have had a couple of 9/0 and one 10/0 straightened out. I use J hooks on my trotlines.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It sounds like alot of you all fish for the giants (or you're where there's plenty of them). A catfish in the 10-15 lb range is considered a big fish here. The KY River averages 15-30 ft deep, 80-120 yds wide up here. There's some giants in there I'm sure, but I'm content to target those in the 2-15 lb range.

About 25 yrs ago I had a line out below Lock 10 at Boonesborough; had something on it that dragged the line & end weight (est. 30 lb) around parallel to the bank and straightened a 6/0 O'Shaughnessy.

16. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    yeah, i fish for the bigguns thats why i use big hooks. i dont care to catch alot of fish just the bigguns. you are right though about smaller hooks catch more fish.

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I build my lines from scratch, and use 5/0 eagle claw hooks. I've caught fish anywhere from 2# to 40# on them. I guess whenever I notice that the hook is the reason I miss a bigger fish, I may change size. Haven't had any straightened out yet, but I know it's possible.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Buffalo suckers are one of my target fish (smallmouth buffs have just that, small mouths) which is a major reason I switched from 2/0 to 1/0 a couple yrs ago and am going to experiment with 1's this year. The 1/0 limericks will handle buffalos up to 20 lb I know and flats up to 15 lb I know. And believe me, flats have nothing on buffs when it comes to fighting.