What size hook?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by katlover, Aug 25, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    i haven't been on in a long time and am new to catfishing. i suck at setting the hook so i wnat one of those self setting hooks, but they look really big. can catfish actaully get those big hooks in their mouth? the cats i'm gonna catch are upto 6 lbs. at the most.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Jacob you will be amazed at what a cat can get in its mouth...LOL....for Channel Cats I usually use 1/0-5/0 depending on the bait size. I have to tell you that I have caught 1.5 lb cats on 10/0 hooks. Eagle Claw Kahle hooks have been my choice as of late, they can be used as a regular or circle hooks which gives you the best of both worlds.....Good Fishin!:big_smile:

3. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    thanks. thats all i needed to hear. now i need some bait.

4. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Don't worry none about them getting that hook in their mouth. I use 2/0 baitholders the majority of the time, and have caught a lot of sunfish on them. If they can get it in their mouth, the cats won't have any problem :big_smile:

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I use the 4/0 hooks, that way I can use just about any size bluegill of a descent size.Best just to experiment and see what works for your needs.