what size gill?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rodney07, Apr 20, 2008.

1. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    Does it matter the size live bait you use? I read where people use live gills and just wondering what size.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The bigger the better. What some people eat would be real good bait. Normlly the ones 2 to 3 inches are used, but thats probably because they are the most abundant.

3. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i've never seen one too big to use. it may take longer to get a bite but it usually will be a good one.

4. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    We only have channels here in central Florida.I do mostly river fishing. I like 3" to 5" live shad or bream. Thats the only effective bait I found so far. They will take the dead ones too.

5. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Like using as big a gill as i can get.

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Any size should work.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i like to have more baits aposed to bigger. i can keep and transport more 5in gills than i can 8 inchers. i havent found that bigger is better, just get it in thier face and they will eat it. imo

8. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I like to use a 4 to 5 inch females if i can catch a few.

9. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    when i was alittle dude, bout knee high to a grasshopper i lobed a huge gill out, i mean bigger than my hand is now, more than big enough to eat, an after bout 30 min my rod shot toward the water. i picked it up and didn feel anything so i set it back down, 2 minutes later it did it again an this time i set the hook. idk what it was cuz it broke 25lb test after about 5 minutes, but it felt like a whopper. so i gues any size. just depends what kinda cat your after

10. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I use hand sized or larger. Like it has been said over and over. The bigger your bait the better your chances that the bigger your catch will be.

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i like 4 to 5 inc gilles for channels depends on top end size of fish in ur lake

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've always liked to use big Bluegils...the bigger the better. I've also caught some nice large fish on live Skipjacks and Large Shad. Big fish do eat small baits too...but I prefer larger baits.:wink:

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'll use anything above 4 inches. in my experience the liveliness of the bait has more to do with it than size. a samller hyper bait will outdo a big, tired bait most of the time.

14. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, being that I always have a hard time getting my hands on skipjacks and shad, I usually use bluegill as bait. I either go to one of the farm ponds that I have access to or I go down to 14 mile creek (a big creek near where I live). When I go to the farm ponds I usually catch eatin size gills, so I throw em on ice, take em directly to the river, and use em as fresh cut bait. Usually I cut the gill in half and use the side w/ the head (hooked through the eyes). When I go to the creek I catch a mix of sunfish and bluegill, all about 3-5 inches long, and I usually keep them alive in a bucket w/ an aerator, then use em as live bait. Both of these methods work well for me.

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    2inch to 4 inch sunfish or gills for me easier to get and they work well for channels or shovelheads rick not to mention the nice largemouths i also get with them

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

17. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice flathead great job:big_smile: