What size Flathead are you going to catch this year.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jason berry, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Last year I set my sights for a 50# Flathead and got a 48# I was only two pounds shy. But, I lost two that were alot bigger one on the anchor line and one on some kind of Submerged snag on the Ohio River. Im going to shoot for a 65# Flathead this year. Last year was my first year fishing with a boat and learning the Ohio River. I learned a lot last year and I got cabin fever really bad now cant wait to go after the Flatties. What size Flathead do you guys think you will catch or hopeing to catch this year and where at. I used cut bait for Flats for the first time last year and destroyed them on fresh cut skipjack. I wouldnt have believed you could have did it until I started catching them on cut bait. But I still think it matters on the river system but Im not positive either.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm hoping to bust the 40# mark or at least beat my PB 33.5# Flattie.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well Jason, I might get lucky and catch one of the big ones that you released while you were out here! Since I am fishing the Colorado this year and not restricted to the canals, Im hoping for a giant in the 30lb range.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i am not really shooting to catch a monster flat because i am happy with some fast action a bunch of 15 to 20,s will make me as happy as 1 50#!!! i also catch alot of flats on cut skipjack some guys believe it some dont.....

5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would love to catch a 40 lbr, good luck with your goal

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That will be my first goal, which is to get a personal best flathead this year. I will be targeting flatheads all over western Kentucky and southern Indiana from the Ohio,Green,Wabash rivers to Kentucky /Barkley & Energy lakes.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Well I hope its bigger than 26 pounds since that was my PB last year. But if not, Ill take whatever decides to take my bait. rspd507

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm not gonna get greedy, just want a new PB in the high 30's if not 40.

Good luck fellas in 2008 ad keep us all up to date!

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am hoping to beat my PB of 1/4lb flathead. I am hoping it isn't that hard to beat!

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Any flathead is a good flathead. I would like to break that 25 lb mark personally.

11. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    im hoping to land 1 in the 40# range but anything better than my PB of 36 will work :big_smile:

12. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Hopin to be my personal best of 25lb+. Learned alot last year. Renewed my passion for fishing. Some reason it wasnt there two years ago. Alota personal reasons prolly. Wish we'd stop getting snow so i could go out

13. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Shooting for 50lbs.............. got a 44 and 45 and a few high 30s under my belt... Not many 50lbs pulled in the last couple years in my neck of the woods....... got my fingers crossed.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Its rough fishing for big flats i had a rough time this year finding them and what bait they were hitting. I dont know if I will get a 65# this year but I fish all the time for them any of you guys around the Evansville, Henderson area want to go out this year shoot me an email. I know a couple deep holes or maybe you could show me a couple. Id like to start fishing the Green River for them. It looks like an awesome spot for them.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am shooting for the ohio record, he must be close to 77-lbs.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I want to catch 100lbs of fish in two fish, So I guess it depends on Captain Hugh. If he gets me an 80lb. Blue, then I only need a 20..... But if he only gets me on a 30.... Well, I'll have my work cut out for me lol!

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hope to break 50 at least once this year.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I am hoping to break 60 this year. Got lucky enough to land a couple of 50's last year.

Tell me more about yuor cut skippy flatheads. Are you fishinging deep holes or shallow structure? Day or night? Anything else that seems relevent?

I have caught some nice flatheads on cut bait, but mostly while targeting blues - seemed like if I put the bait in their face, they'd eat it. For targeting flatheads out feeding, seems more productive to give them the live baits.

19. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    This will be my first season fishing for flatheads. I'm not concerned with size, I just want to catch some. Once I figure out where they are and what tactics work on them, then I will worry about size. Of course, a 48 lb.er (which would be a new state record) would be just fine with me.

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hope to beat my p.b. of 46# !!!!!:eek:oooh: