What size drift socks for a 19ft pontoon?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cottonwoodsforever, Apr 13, 2006.

1. cottonwoodsforever

cottonwoodsforever New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My uncle just bought a 19ft pontoon boat and he wants me to buy him some Cabela's drift socks for it while I still get my employee discount. The Cabela's socks are available in sizes from 26" to 77", and I know he plans on running two (one from each corner). Which size would be best for drifting blood for channels? Thanks!

-Mike

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I don't know for sure, but I would think two 77's.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I had a 24' pontoon and we got a 3 XL (56") sock and it slowed us down a lot more than I thought it would. I bought one and wanted to try it before I bought the second one in case I needed to go larger. Didn't need another one and then I sold the boat and kept the sock. So, I would buy one large one and then see what you need for the second one. We tied it to the middle of the boat to the rail and it worked great.

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mike ,,,, I have a 24ft pontoon that i use for drift fishing, i have 2 , 6ft socks on it , one on the front left corner, one on the left rear corner, they work great. I got mine from a lady at santee,S C , she makes them for a lot of guides down there. they are the best ones ive seen, Its called the Easterlin Sea Anchor,.... phone # 843 753-2353...... E-Mail: mceasterlin@homexpressway.net .....web site!...http//:www.carolina-girl.com ... they are made from very high quality materials and last a long time . hope this helps bro...................steve

5. cottonwoodsforever

cottonwoodsforever New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the help guys! I think I will have him try the 77 inchers for now...and if they aren't large enough I will definitely look into the sea anchors! Thanks again.

-Mike

6. Don Miller

Don Miller New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks for posting the contact info for the SC drift socks

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would get the biggest ones you find. Because if it is in a good wind you will thank me. Been there done that.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We always used 5 gal buckets or cut off plastid drums. Guess just too cheap to by things. lol

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I used to have a pontoon and drift with it a lot. I rigged a valve and pump system where I could add water to the pontoons and slow the drift. The pontoons were full of styrafoam so there was no danger of sinking. I got the idea because one of my pontoons had a leak and I had to put a pump in it to pump it out from time to time. See ya on the water!