What size dip nets are you using for big catfish?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Guthooked, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I need to replace a smaller dip net with a bigger one for landing some big cats. What size and brand do you recommend for really big catfish?

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I would say that depends on how big of one you feel that you can handle. But what ever you decide make sure the opening is biggenough to get the fish in. I have two nets one for the boat with a 4' handle and one for land with a telescoping 8' handle. I need the longer handle becouse some of the places I fish, the water is down around 6'. The openings in the nets are about 24"

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I bought one from Catfish connection last year. It is a loki big fish net. The opening is 36 inches. They make a size bigger and it is huge. They both have colapseable handles. Only trouble is if you cant pick it up the shipping willkill the price. Look around most big tackle shops in your area can get you what you need.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am cheap. Got a glove for my right hand. LOL

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Mine is a 36 inch with a colapseable 4ft handle same as bearcat mentioned....mine is tangle free..spend the extra money for the tangle free net..if ya ever had a non-tangle free net ya know what I mean!:wink:

6. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    im with you lol

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    FRABILL makes the best nets in my experience simply because they re-inforce the rim and their handles are virtually indestructable.You can't use any net by the handle to lift fish bigger than 20lb that I have found.You must support the rim and the tangle free nets are pretty nice also.:eek:oooh: :smile2: :big_smile:

8. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I went to Memphis net & twine and asked for the biggest dip net they have.

I have netted fish on two trotline drops at the same time.

Robert

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I agree with Jim, Frabill makes a fine net...