What size circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    If one is targeting 1-4 pound cats what size circle would be best to use? thanks!

2. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    If you are targeting 1-4lb cats I would say 4/0 should do fine. I've caught alot of smaller ones using the 4/0 Gamakatsu octopus circles. Hope this helps.

3. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use 3/0 and 4/0 gamakatsu brand...

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    With liver/crawlers I use 2 or 3/0, its leaves me with plenty of gap for the hook to work. Using cutbait I've had good luck using 4/0. I basically want that hook to have enough gap to do it's job.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Keith, my best advice is to chuck all your circle hooks at the nearest homeless shelter so those guys can use them LOL. Then get you some Gammakatsu Octopus hooks in 8/0. I have caught 1lb channels on 10/0 gammas so 8's will be no problem. If you feel like thats too big buy some 6's. Just ditch the circles, you will lose more fish than you catch.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Pay no attention to Skip. I use Gamakatsu Octopus circle siz 6 and my hookup rate is in the 90's. Of course, I am drifting or fishing from an anchored boat. I can't be accurate as to hookup from shore. The reason Skip can't hookup with his rods is because he uses a broomstick to wrassle them 40lb Flatheads from snaggy areas.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    with cut bait i wouldnt go less than 6/0 worms 4/0 will work fine.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Two things to remember when buying hooks...1) catfish are not hook shy and 2) you want the barb plus some completely exposed. I wouldnt use anything less than 6/0 for the smaller cats. This way if catfish bigger than what you are targeting hits it, you still stand a good chance of landing him. Ive caught several cats in the 2 to 4 pound range on 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I fish with a several friends that are charter boat captains. and I have worked as a mate on charter boats for over 30 years. There are three reasons we use circle hooks
    # 1 Most of our customers don't know how to fish
    # 2 Most of our customers don't know how to fish.
    #3 If it's big. it will hook itself.
    Circle hooks were designed for long line fishing (giant trot lines) where big fish will take a bait and swim off to swallow it.
    If you are a yank when you get a bite fisherman, circle hooks will cost you many,many lost fish, Look at a circle hook, the point is not exposed.
    The average fisherman (with the rod in his hand) will probably hook 80 to 90 percent more fish by "setting the hook" when a regular hook is used.

Granted, circle hooks are better for 'trot line and limb or jug fisherman" but in my train of thought long liners and juggers are meat fishermen and are not fishing for sport !!!!

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I agree with most of ya. I use a 4/0 circle.

11. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    Pirate jerry is right about the yank and set the hook not being a good idea for circle hooks. But if you are using outriggers circle hooks will work great. with circle hooks the size of 3/0 i have cought under a pound to 15+ pounds. But i give all credit to outriggers. the fallowing fish were cought on 3/0 hooks with skipjack heads. not what i usually use just trying something different(not the 48lber):dribble:

Attached Files:

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Circle hooks were also popularized by salt-water sport fishermen to minimize gut hooks and increase survival rates of fish after release.:wink:

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    If you're just targeting 2-4 #ers then I would go with a 3/0 or 4/0 but if you want an all around good hook for small, med., or large fish go with a 6/0 gama octopus circle hook.

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I like the 3/0 to 4/0 for channel cats. They can feel the bigger hooks and tend to drop it.