What size circle hooks to use for eating size catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bsites9, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Right now, I have some 3/0 size circle hooks, is that about right for smaller to med. sized cats?

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that should work great for cut baits or real small live baits, i've caught smaller channel cats and flatheads on an 8/0 hook, so cats aren't hook shy, personally for cut baits i use 5/0 and live baits i use 8/0

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think a 3/0 would be a good size if you're only after eaters.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I been using 5/0 and 6/0 but this year got some 8/0 circle hooks, 5-6 oughta be good, depends on what ya call an eater, and depend on bait size. If the hook is real big, the smaller ones cant' get it in their mouth, and they will get the bait sometimes.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I pretty much just use 2/0 circles, although I'm targeting mainly bullheads, and we'll catch a good many 3-5 pounds. We catch channels and blues up to about 10 pounds in river as well. We catch plenty of channels and blues up to about 15 pounds drifting in the lake, and have even gotten them as big as 25 pounds.

Mostly what we use for bait is night crawlers, small crawfish, cut herring, and chicken breast. The herring we cut into 5 or 6 pieces. The chicken breast we cut into bite size pieces, and probably get around 20-25 pieces from one breast. If I use live fish (or nearly live) or larger crawfish then I'll use larger hooks.

6. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    i guess it really depends on the size of fish you like to eat me personally i think that the 1 to 3 pound range are the best eatin and if your going after them than i think the setup you got is perfect but if you going after the really big ones so that you dont have to clean as many than you might want to go to a 5/0 - 8/0 depending on how big they get in your stretch of water.

7. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    thanks everybody. i don't really know how big this lake has right now. supposedly "trophy" size cats, so we'll see.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    perfect size for eater size small enough for the smaller cats to get the hook in its mouth but large enough to get a good hook up on a larger one.your good to go my friend.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    #2-3 GAMAS, Octopus, for channels.

10. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like already posted #3 should be good for smaller cats. Personally I never catfish with anything smaller than a #6 Circle and I have caught fish as small as 2 lbers. For the most part the larger circle keep turtles and eels off my lines.

Whatever size you use, always make sure the point will clear the bait otherwise you will miss lots of fish. So size the hook for the bait you are using.

11. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I agree with a lot of these answers in that a 3/0 circle hook is a good starting size for eating sized cats.....but I have had to change to 5/0 thur 8/0 in the past 3 weeks as most of the channels were swallowing the hook, making it a pain to dig out. I have been mainly catching them on dip tubes and secret 7. I do think though that a lot of that swallowing of the hook is due to the secret 7. The hotter the weather, the better that bait works. The channels have been hammering it all summer.
    A move to bigger hooks usually will keep them from swallowing the hook.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol lol lol, ha ha , oh boys, i had a 1 pondn flat swalow an 9 ot hook, my budygot a 1 pound channel swallow a bluegill on a king kael, but if your after eaters in the 5 ten pound range, be more speceice specific, id say for channels 6 ot, for flatheads dont matter, lol their not hook shy, but channels ard e, what are you fishing with, if its shad, if so 5 ot, if liver, a walmart treble hook

13. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    2/0-3/0 kahle for eaters
    5/0 hook for eaters (Kentucky Trips)
    fishing for hawgs 8/0 and larger (Mississippi River)