What Size Circle Hook?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by miichael, Jan 6, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok guys im gonna give circle hooks a try. My question is what size? I currently use 5/0 kahle for channels and 7/0 kahle for blues and 10/0 kahles for flatheads. Which size should i use for channels and blues in the circle hook? I want to keep using 10/0 kahle for flatheads but want to try circles for drift fishing cut bait.

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i would just get one that looks like it has a big enough gap for what you are tying to catch. just remember that with circle hooks, the gap is smaller than the hook, and not all circle hooks are sized the same. some companies size them off of the gap, and others size them off of the distance between the shank and the most outer part of the hook. the most outer part of the hook size is going to be quite a bit bigger than the gap size. hope this helps

3. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It is hard to say because the size varies so from one manufacturer to another.I use 7/0 to 14/0 for Blues and 3/0 to 7/0 for channels.I favor the circle hooks with wide gaps in med. to heavy wire.The Catfish Connection has a great selection of circle hooks,I'm sure you can find some to satisfy you there.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think that a 4/0 to 6/0 would do the trick. When drifting a 4/0 is my favorite size. The fish in my avatar was caught on a 3/0 octopus.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its primarily about hook point exposure with circles and the ability to hold the bait you are usein and allow that point to be exposed. Also they gotta be real sharp. Remember ya aren't settin that hook like ya are used to. The hook is doin the setting so its gotta be sharp to perform. Have fun breakin them old hook settin habits. LOL! I would recomend not gettin any unless ya have held them in your hands and evaluated them.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Michael, there is a lot of difference between brands of hooks, but you want to use a hook that will leave the point well exposed when you bait it.
    Here is some info on dimensions: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3325
    The gamakatsu octopus circles work really good, but I've used some eagleclaw with good success, also. If you are using 5/0 kahles, you will probably want to use a 6/0 or 7/0 circle and larger. The 5/0 is a good all-round size, but again, hook point exposure is critical.
    Don't forget: let the fish hook themselves. That's the hardest thing to learn when using circles. I always wait until the fish loads the rod and keeps it down, then start reeling and remove the rod from the holder. You don't have to set the hook, but I sometimes give a quick, short tug on the rod after I have the fish coming to me, to insure the hook is well set.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use from a 4/0 to 10/0 for catfish. I use three brands VMC, Owner and Gamakatsu all are sharp. You may even want some of the 4X size 8/0 Gamakatsu's for bigger fish.