What size circle hook for flathead?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dano40, Feb 6, 2008.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    What size circle hook should I use for flathead 30 lbs. and up?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think the size of a circle depends on the size of your bait. I like larger hooks around 8 or 9 or even a 10 cicle or kahle. In the winter I downsize to about 5's:crazy:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Yep,
    What he said!
    And I'm sure that someone will tell you to just throw the circles away and use J hooks!...W

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use 8/0 Gama's for just about everything! I experiment alot too!:wink:

5. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would rather use a jerk hook for ole flatty than use a cirlce because flatty a flathead doesnt always smash it he might sit out there and chew on it for an hour before he goes on his way. Also if he does smash it you have a clicker hoperfully that he can run and you can set the hook that way. Found that more effective than a circle hook.

6. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I use 8/0 gama cirlce octopus hooks and 8/0 kahles

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I like 8/0 - 10/0 circles but mostly use 10/0 king khales.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

yup ill agree to that too.

i mite add too the importance of hook strength to line size. a 10/0 hook dont set good with 4# line and a # 2 aberdine has no buisness being tied to 80# braid. if you are after 30s then you will be using at least 20# line so make sure your hook can stand up to it!

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

ill agree to that winston.lol thats because i couldnt teach myself to use them though. im sure they work if you can work them. maybe hehe:roll_eyes:

10. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never had much luck with circle hooks for flatheads. As stated before flatheads for the most part scale baits and soften them up. They may pick a bait up and move a few feet, stop repeat. Thats why I prefer the "set into them" method. I've personally never had a flathead run after taking a bait.. well nothing on the scale compaired to a bluecat (circles work very well on them). I prefer a #8-#9 gama's Octopus hook, 4xstrong, straight eye, offset-point.

To those who have a high hook up ratio with circles hooks on flatheads, my hats off to ya. :worship:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 8/0 gamma circles, but I would use bigger gammas if I could find them.

12. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    again,, yeap,,what he said,LOL

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    To start with, hook sizes vary from one company to the next and by style. I use Daiichi circle hooks mostly. I have one style where the 12/0 is actually a smaller hook than the 7/0 but with a thicker gauge. For Flats I prefer the D95Z style 12/0.

14. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I've had quite a bit of success using circles on flatheads. Most of the bigger fish I caught were in the 20lbs. to low 30lbs.

I've caught them on Gamakatsu 7/0 and 8/0 G208 Octopus Circles, Daiichi 5/0 and 7/0 D84Z Circle Chunk Lights.
    But my favorite of all the circles are the Daiichi 5/0 D85Z Circlewides.

I've caught more flatheads on the D85Z's than any other circle hook I've ever used. I fish these hooks a little different than most people do. I leave my baitcasters in freespool and flip the clicker on, when he runs with it I pick up my rod and engage the reel. When it loads up I reel the fish in.

But I'd still rather cross his eyes with a Kahles!:big_smile:

15. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Here's my issue with circle hooks... I don't fish in areas where you have enough room to let the cat hook itself.. YOu cant just pick up and snap with circle hooks, which becomes a major issue when fishing heavy cover. So my answer is size none.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John on this. I prefer to set the hook myself and would use 7-10 kahles over the circles.

17. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I use 6/0 and 7/0 circles myself.

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    l use 8/0 gamakatsu , works for me

19. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    8/0 Gama octopus circle or khale.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    For me it depends on the bait I'm using. I don't like live bait and circles. I use J-hooks in the 8/0-10/0 size for live baits and use circles in the 4/0-8/0 range for cut baits. Really, there is no need to use anything less than a 6/0 for any reason. I've never had a fish sit there and chew on a bait or scale them, they always seem to do the same thing.....the rod tip starts jumping all around b/c the bait knows what's coming and then you see one big thump and then the clicker starts to do it's job and then it's time to reel down to him and hammer the crap out of him. Also, using circles they just take it. If you're letting the rod load properly and the fish are "dropping" the bait then you're likely not getting bit by catfish, it's probably something else like gar:angry: Those things are so hard to hook on a circle. Hope some of this helps.