What size carp?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by force61, Oct 1, 2009.

1. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hi Everyone. I was wondering how large of carp you can use for going for flatheads. I have a pond close to my house that has plenty of them but they are all about 12" to 14". I'm thinking they are to big to use whole, but I'm thinking about maybe using them as cutbait. Even if I was to use them live I'm thinking it would be hard to keep them weighted down since they pull so hard for their size. Also alot of them apear to be cross bred with koi and golfish. It's the wierdest thing I've ever seen. I've attatched a couple of pictures so you can see the size of them. Thanks everyone for the great info, this is my first time posting and have been creeping around for about a month or so now soaking up all of the great tips.

Attached Files:

2. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I could find carp that small.Those would be good bait around here.
    I'd weight them down with 4-5 oz of lead

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Which pond is that.

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Ryan - welcome the the BOC! there are flatheads in our waters that are plenty big enough to swollow a carp that size whole...problem is game & fish regs prohibit anglers moving fish from one body of water to another for bait purposes (or any reason for that matter). thanks for posting!

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    use those suckers whole!!! 9 oz will hold them after they get tired lol those look awesome!:big_smile:

6. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    That first pic, is either a goldfish, or a cross breed, that dorsal fin doesnt have that high hump in front, and carp dont have tails like that. where is this pond at?

7. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the replys guys. The pond is actually in south west Goodyear, almost Buckeye. I understand that I can only "use" them in the same body of water they are caught though. I think the first pic is a cross breed with commet goldfish or something like that because of the fins and the body was definatly all carp, and the second has alot of the coloring like a Koi. Just figured you guys might get a kick out of it. Also I can't PM yet since I don't have 10 postings yet but as soon as I do I will reply back.

8. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome! 10 posts will go fast!:big_smile:

9. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Brian I'm sure it will. I'm just ready to catch my first Flat. A couple of buddies and myself were at Bartt about a month and a half ago and one of them got on about a 20 or 25 lber but it broke off at the shore so now we are hooked. It's funny how just one fish that you don't even get in can ignite the flathead fever.... lol.

10. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Welcome to the big pond! Those definitely look like koi/comet/carp. someone probably unloaded their pond at home some years back and you getting some cross spawning there. Here is an interesting little article to chew on.

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Koi/Butterflies.html

11. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I totaly understand the reasons about not transporting live fish from one body of water to another. I never meant to ruin your year at the lake skunko. One question though it all of the AZ Fish and Game regualtions refer to using live bait fish. So what if someone were to freeze the bait they caught, and then use the carp as cut bait like I had mentioned in my first post. Would this be legal? All joking aside though I'm really just looking for some answers on the size of bait I could get away with if I did catch it at the lake I was fishing. I was thinking that those carp I was catching just seemed a little big if I had caught them at bartt and tried to use them as bait. I never meant to upset anyone with my post.

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    looks like good bait to me use them whole if they move too much you can trim their tales off some. love to have baits like that:roll_eyes:

13. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Lilmonster is one cool guy, I can vouch for him. I am a pretty good judge of character.

14. force61

force61 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yeah I definatly get that vibe from reading all of the posts he's left and seems extreemly helpful.

15. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i joined this site so i can meet some guys who like 2 fish and bullshit on here. i dont want 2 read paragraphs on why we should not transport live fish. every1 on here jokes about it just 2 get a rise out of u. u claim 2 be so smart but havent figured that out. and that pic we took for skunko was not 2 call him out it was 2 laugh. u think were gonna take pics of something illegal.why dont u take that stick out ur ass and do us a favor hit urself in the head with it and wake up.u never post how good lakes or rivers are, u just find the negative stuff bout every thread and post ur stupid thought. i dont think u need 2 protect anybody from us if some1 cant figure were kiddin when we say give them papsmirs or lick them 4 poison i dont think they should be released from the same hospital ur from.so have fun or go to another state and straighten them out. relax skunko

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would love to have a place to catch carp that look like that...just get some big hooks and a heavy sinker....i would use them alive and if one died then id keep it for cut bait...

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Easy gents,there's one in every crowd,the more you get pissed at them the more they like it!

As to the bait Question, Does az not allow live bait at all? I beleive in most states goldfish fall in the baitfish catagory,although I'm not up on Az. laws,but if it does allow them,I would call them goldfish and git fishin! As too the too big for bait question,you'll just have to get the gear to toss a bait like that,take some sharp scissors and trim the fins down to prevent them from pulling your rig around. I have a sinker mold that makes one pound bank sinkers,and I ain't afraid to use it! But you need to have a rod heavy enough to pick up and toss that rig! Want big fish? Use BIG BAIT!

18. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    thats exactly what we are flathead junkies:wink:. i havent been fishin because of cory but its worth it. what bout u fred headin out this weekend? its suppose 2 rain the whole weekend but them flats dont care unless its unethical 2 fish when it rains. how bout that skunko can we fish when it rains?but if anything fred will we see u next week?

19. flathead-40

flathead-40 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :big_smile: Went out Thursday late,took the wife, met up with manofewords- 16.7 17.5 8 and a fuzz. Had hot coffee at 6 shot the shit for a while and headed home. Will be out friday the 9th about 3-4. what about you. how bout you skunk coming out to play with the rednecks? Watch out for lilmonster he might not shave.:crazy:

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is just the right size for bait in my way of thinking. That size of bait gets you some good size flatheads. The 13#er in my avatar was caught on a bluegill about5 or 6"s long. I like the hand size sunfish for bait, they get to about 8 to 10"s long.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009