What size braid should I use for smallmouth bass and small-mid size channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinnstudyin, Jan 19, 2007.

1. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    i recently went on a spending spree on Ebay and bought 5 150 yard spools of Powerpro ranging from 1 8 lb, 2 10 lb, and 2 15 lb test powerpro... Now, I bought the line believing that I could substitute an 8 lb mono with an 8 lb braid, but when I looked at articles online, it seemed that Powerpro along with every other braid line out there tends to create weaker knots due to slippage even if it was one of the knots recommended using for braid (even uni to uni splice, albright, etc). It seems that if most people use 6 lb mono for smallies, instead of using 8 or 10 lb test, they tend to use 15 lb test.... does that mean that it would not be advisable for me to use the 8 lb test for smallies and small channel cats or will it be okay to put it on? Normally for small mouths and even channel cats up to 5 lbs, I use 6 lb monofilament and so I thought the 8 lb braided test would be fine and even an upgrade but now it doesnt seem so.. for fishing, i plan on using a monofilament leader attached line to line, not by a swivel, and im afraid of the knot breaking..

give me your input please

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John you will be fine using the smaller braids for the smaller fish, I use 10 lb on my crappie, bream, and skipjack rods. the only reason I don't use smaller is it is hard for me to tie. Don't have much feeling on the ends of thumbs and first 2 fingers of both hands.
    Use a Palomar knot for line to hook, swivel etc., double nail or double uniknot for line to leader and you will be fine.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The palomar knot is fine for tying to swivels as the previous post mentioned. I personally use the alberto knot for tying to leader like mono.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Agree with the Palomar knot, probably the best for that size braid. It'll hold at 95% or better of line strength. But, I don't like it for lures with multiple treble hooks, it can get nasty trying to tie it, those hooks bite.

5. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    10 lbs for skipjack and crappie makes me a little worried that my 8 lbs for smallmouths is a little on the light side b/c skipjack and crappie rarely hit 1 1/2 lbs while smallmouths can hit 5-6 lbs. ive read that palomar isnt that strong with a braided knot, that its strength is only about 70% and also the uni to uni splice is fairly weak as well too b/c of the braid slipping too much...