What Size Boat

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by jason berry, Jul 24, 2006.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im getting out of the marines and going back to Indiana and was wondering what is the smallest size jon boat I could use thats safe to fish the Ohio river and then whats the smallest that you would recommend to fish the dams.

2. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Id say atleast 16ft....what part of indiana are you moving to?

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Going back to Evansville. Im a westsider.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jason, as you probably already know all jon boats aren't created equal. Personally, I wouldn't get on the Ohio in anything smaller than a sixteen. Although some sixteens would still be very unstable on the Ohio, such as very narrow jons or jons with a 15 inch transom and shallow sides. There are some river jons in sixteen foot that I would take on just about any water there is by myself. So, you might consider this, are you going to be fishing alone mostly or are others going to be in the boat. You are responsible for the craft you operate as well as anyone on board. If you are going to be fishing with four or five adults regularly on the Ohio I would go with a 18 or better. Vern

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with vern. A boat smaller than a 16 can be dangerous sometimes but most of the time a 15 footer would be OK. I would not personally take anything smaller than an 18 footer into the tailraces. A 19 foot bass boat went down at Markland this spring. I would be nervous in an 18 footer, unless it was a Lund or something with nice high sides and a 20 inch transom.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Thanks I was going to get an 18 ft deep and wide but I cant afford it anymore so I think ill just get a the deepest 16 I can afford because I usually fish by myself or one other person and i think Ill stay away from the dams until I get something bigger.