What Size boat for James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Captain Cat, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    I have a 16 ft. side console deep V aluminum with a 40 hp motor. Would it be good for fishing the James? I have heard some about how rough it can get on windy days.
    Thanks

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    You heard right. I think your boat would be ok on fairly calm days or upriver from Hopewell but if you go down river from there its big open water and combine that with a good windy day, you might have problems.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THINK SAFE YOUR FAMILY WANTS YOU HOME , DON'T BE ONE OT THEM #'S

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    To head out on the big water, you need to trade in that big boat for a kayak! :tounge_out:

Honestly, though I know some guys that wouldn't think twice about heading out anywhere in a kayak, I am not one of them. I stick to lakes for now.

Welcome to the BOC, Dean! :0a25:

5. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    That boat should be fine. Obviously a twenty some foot Grady White CC would be better on windy days but for now fish what you have. Good Luck

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree the boat should be fine but when your on the river you need to be very careful of the wind and way the currrent is flowing on the river.

7. DOCDENNY

DOCDENNY New Member

State:
    Southern Illinois
    you should be fine as long as you stick to the rivers edge on those rough and windy days. good luck

8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The boat can handle it if the Captain can. I find my limitations are way less than what my boat (17 ft center console) is. Chose your days and don't press anything that feels uncomfortable...and wear your life jacket at all times. Leaning over to net a fish or wash the bait off your hands and a wave hits the side of the boat can lead to disaster in a millisecond. Also, make sure you have a way of getting back into the boat. Most drownings occur because the boater was not wearing a life jacket and could not get back into the boat. If you think you can just pull yourself up over the edge, try it with a friend in the boat. You may be surprised how difficult it really is.

I had a close call when I first bought my boat and thought one of those folding rope ladders would be fine. Not until I needed it did I find out it wanted to push under the boat whenever I put any weight on it. Lucky for me, another boater was nearby and helped me back into my boat.

Remember, you have a family to return to and NO catfish, no matter how big, is worth your life. Play it safe and have fun.

Tight lines.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

Great Information Chuck,Reps. to You Sir. J.D.:0a31::0a27: