What size bearings for a 7000B?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by USE TO BE, Jul 30, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What size bearings do I need to get for a 7000B? I'm thinking it is 4x10x4 but I'm not sure. Thanks.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The bearing size for the 7000B is 3x10x4 for the spool bearings. This is also the same size used for the old double knob 5000C, 5500C, 6000C, and 6500C. If you have to replace the crank handle bearing for any reason, it's 9x17x5. The 4x10x4 size is the size for the newer ultra cast reels like the 4600, 5000, 5500, 6000, 6500, etc.

Hope this helps ya out.

3. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THANKS! I ordered the 4x10x4's earlier today. I will have to call first thing tomorrow morning to change my order. I guess I might as well ask for directions in changing the bushings to bearings. I read the instructions in the archives for doing this in a 6000. Is this the same method for the 7000B?

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Changing the spool bearings in a 7000 is alot easier than in the newer ultra cast ambassadeurs. In the ultra cast, the bearings are in the spool. In the 7000, the bearings are in the chrome end caps. Just remove the chrome cap on the left side, remove the wire keeper, then push the bushing out from the other side if it won't fall out. Then put in the bearing. sometimes you have to work them in but it will go.
    On the right side, just remove the cap, then remove the bushing, then put in the bearing, and replace the cap.

On another note, the old 7000s made before 1980 along with the 5000 and 6000s that are red with the double knobs and the green 5000d have an entirely different size spool shaft. It's a 1/8 inch spool shaft diameter and is alot harder to find bearings to fit it.

On the bearing numbers, the first number is the spool diameter, the second number is the outside diameter, and the third number is the bearing thickness.

If I can help any further, just ask.

5. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I got the new bearings put in the 7000B. To tell the truth, I can't notice any difference in casting. I'm still throughing 3 oz. with an 8 ft rod around 60 yds. It does seem a little smoother on the retrieve maybe. I still can't decide if I want another 7000B or a 9000 BG. Right now, I'm leaning towards another 7000B and I'm hoping for a 7000iC3 for my birthday in a few weeks. Maybe I will just ask for a 9000BG and 7000B...they would cost about as much combined as the 7000iC3. I just think the 7000 is the perfect size for me and it should haul in any cat I can hook into. What do you think guys? Help me spend my money. A 7000B and 9000 BG or a 7000iC3?

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ya never know whats gonna hit the bait. I had one a couple months ago smoke my 7000C3! Smoke litterally was coming off the reel he was running so fast! Then, last week, I had one that even the 9000BG couldn't crank in!

Just get what you're comfortable with. Occasionally you'll hook into something that you can't get in no matter WHAT reel and line you got on the rod! They were both great fights though, at least while they lasted. That is, if you could call them a fight. They both just smoked drag till they found a hole to get in, then just laid down. By the way, the Trilene Big Game line never gave up the fight till I finally broke it off myself.

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Smoke coming off your reel! Now there's a problem I'd like to have. Did you have stock drag washers in your reels? I put the carbontex in both of my 7000's. Ya know, I think I'm goin to try out the 9000. If I have trouble casting it, I can always Ebay it for what I paid for it probably. Can a guy smooth drag washers for the 9000? I am also keeping an eye out for a Penn 209 on Ebay - thought I would give one of those a try as well. Thanks for all your help xringer.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had the smoothie drags in the 7000, and stock drags in the 9000. I think if you practice a bit with the 9000, you'll be ok, and also surprised. I was throwing mine farther and easier than my beloved 7000s the first trip out! I'm thinking about loosing some of the 7000s, and getting a couple more 9000s! I would also think that if you're having trouble with casting the ambassadeurs, then you sure as hell will have problems with the penn!!!!!!!!!! The ambassadeurs are soooooooooooooo much easier to throw!

Good luck and enjoy whichever one you get. Hope you get a smoker!

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Welcome to the BOC

If I would have caught you sooner I would have advised you to go to www.mikesreelrepair.com...You can give him call or join his reel repair forum...They can tell you how to beef up a reel and use the best bearing to do it with....Just some food for thought on your next repair....Dwight

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
  11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Xringer is correct about the bearings that they are generally 3x10x4 bearings.

However, Abu did manufactur a few odd bushings in the 70's that will not work with the above bearings. Swap the spool in those instances.

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
  13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The older red 5000 and 6000s and the green 5000D had the 1/8 inch diameter spool shaft. VXB bearings makes a bearing to fit them also. The old 7000s made before 1980 also have the 1/8 inch spool shafat also. You can replace the spool with a more modern one to use the 3x10x4 bearings. Sometimes though when you do a spool swap, you have to change the pinion gear also. I've converted some of the old ones with just a spool swap with no problems. On the smaller reels though, you will have to change the pinion gear.

The 3x10x4 bearings will cost you between 10.00 a pair to 20.00 a pair depending on what rating you get or if they're ceramic instead of stainless. A new spool will cost about 10 to 25.00 also, so you kinda gotta weight out with method will be more cost efficient for you.

I've used Mike's Reel Repair in the past. He's got great service and decent prices. It just takes a little longer to get his items as he has to ship out of Canada.