What size and type of swivels

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by cliff n york, Sep 3, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    well what do you use, i read in one fishing article not to use brass swivels; but i think if i use a larger size (1/o) are larger it would strong enough

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd like to see the answer to that'n:smile2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep alone. ~~Anthony Burgess

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I would never use brass swivels. I only use the big roscoe swivels, I think they are 650lb test. LOL

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i use brass swivels

cause thats the only thing that is availaible to me

but if i could i would use ball baring swivels
    for their size they have WAY more holding power and are smoother and just IMO a BETTER SWIVEL

but i use brass barrel swivels and they have never failed but i use BIG ones like 2/0 ( i am pretty sure)

Jeff

5. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I always try to use swivels with a black finish. I usually buy "regular" saltwater swivels and have used ball-bearing swivels from time to time, but I don't know. I've never lost a fish due to known swivel failure, although I've had a few swivels jam on me. I usually break off enough rigs to make it seem like a good idea to use "regular" (not premium or dirt-cheap) swivels.
    I find myself on the water between bites thinking that I might be cheaping out on the swivels, but whenever I toss a ball-bearing swivel I say "gee, I hope I don't break this one off," this cost a lot more than the hook!

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A BOC Brother and I did a break tests
    on 2/0 brass swivels of 3 or 4 brands and they broke a from 112lbs to 132lbs.That's stronger than my line so I don't worry.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree unless youre using some 100# test the line should break first. I use the 1/0 or 2/0 brass from wallmart. I have miss shapened a few when using 65#power pro with 65#power pro leaders but never have broke one. Id say their strong enough.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use brass swivels, Berkly Mc mahon in 250-lb test.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I used the brass swivels from Walmart for years, the bigger 3/0 size, Laker brand I think it was. I never had one fail, even when using line all the way up to 200lbs. That said, when I found a source for the Berkley Mcmahon's for about the same price, 11-12 cents each, I switched over and never went back. The 2/0 Berkley's are rated 250lb, are smaller than the regular brass ones (less chance for snags), and I've never seen one fail.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The 4-6 bead chain swivels use to be popular where twisted line was a problem.They really worked well as each bead was a swivel point.I guess it was like having 4-6 swivels on your line.You can still order them if you have a sever line twisting problem.peewee-williams

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you find the right place you can buy berkley swivels by the gross. They aren't that expensive. i would buy ones a bit bigger than you need though, 100# or more aren't that big. I saw some guys doing breaking tests on them and they broke at 1/2 of their rating or so. I don't know if that is normal but that is what they discovered.

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use the black barrel swivels in 1/0. I'll probably change them out next year, I haven't lost a single one this year. They are way stronger than my line so I'm not worried about them at all. I would jsut not recommend using snap swivels, too many things can go wrong with those.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Got lots of them in the bottom of the Mississippi River,but none from failing to perform.Have never lost a fish(yet)from using them.Usually get them from Wal-Mart.

14. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    3/0 brass barrel swivels from Wal-Mart.
    Never had a failure.

Dave

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    P-Line Rolling Barrel swivels in size 3. These things are the next best to ball bearing swivels and not anymore than the Berkley's.

16. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    as a surfcaster i can tell you that on a cast you exert 10x the force of the weight you're casting ie; 5oz sinker= 50lbs of force so i use these just in case. as a minimum i use penn power swivels rated for 75lbs.

and be careful of ballbearing swivels they aren't as strong as advertised.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cliff, I started using these this year and really like them you can purchase them from catfish conection for $10.50 per pack of 50 swivels. They are Spro Power Swivels / Size 2 / 230 lb. test / part # SPSB-02-50