what size and kind of fishing line?

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by bowler man, Dec 15, 2008.

1. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i have lost two fish in the last two tournaments due to my line getting cut after hook up:angry:, was wondering what kind of line you use and what size. i think it is time to reline all my rods , i have 16 6500c3 reels on 7' uglies. i have heard horror stories about some braids cutting through rod eyes and becoming embeded in the other line on the spool. and would like to know what to look for when i go drop a ton of money relining , any input would help thanks

2. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bowlerman, Billfish and I use 16# to 20# mono on almost all of our rods and we never break off. For a leader use 40# mono. I like Ande for my main line, as for the leader I dont really think it matters. Hope this helps.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Jeff,I use the 20lb Cajun Red on all my drifting reels with 30lb Stren High Impact for my leaders,and all my anchoring set ups I use either the 30lb Stren High Impact,or the Berkely Big Game Extreme Fighting Power 30lb,with a 30 or 50lb leader of the same,I also use Palormar knots,dont know if you are breaking off at the knot or not,just thought I would throw that out there,I used to break a few off with other knots,but since I changed to palormars that has went way way down.

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have been using MOMOI 16#, and have used the basspro brand, but when I get snagged it seems to stretch alot. I like ANDE and if I cant get the MOMOI from my friend again Im going to buy a big spool of that. I will probally get 20#. I like the HIVIS Yellow. I dont see the need for BRAID where I fish. If you dont mind clear line I have a big spool of 25#Billfisher brand you can have.

5. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i am a ande man myself:smile2:, right now i have 20# ande on all my reels, but i have been fishing some pretty rugged terain here lately and my line has been taking a beating , i try to check it after every few fish but this last tourney i had one break before the line ever really loaded up ,so i know it had a bad spot on it somewhere and at mt island i had something take a live perch and before i could even get close to the rod it was under some timber and trying to get him out finally cut it.:angry:

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
  7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I spool up with 50lb. Berkley Big Game.

8. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I use Ande 30lb green and I buy the big spools. I have also use a lot of Big Game 30 lb and I noticed that the Ande will break off easier than the Big Game. I change my line every 2 months anyways and change my mono 50 lb leaders almost every other weekend. My break offs are almost always on purpose most the time I have to cut it.:cool2:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    20 pound Ande yellow on all my reels.

40 pound and 50 pound Ande mono for leaders.

PM and me I can get you the name of the place I order 2500 yard spools of the Ande 20 pound line. Those spools will usually load up 15-20 Abu Garcia reels.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All my Catfish reels have 20 # Cajun red mono. I have never had it to break!:big_smile:

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i use all fluorocarbon 30 lb line an 50lb leaders it has very little stretch an it don't get any tougher it is not affected by sunlight it will last at least 6months but rather costly but a fish of a lifetime its worth it.the roundhill