What size anchor buoy?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by TNVOLCAT, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm looking to add an Ironwood Pacific anchor lift system to my boat. I was wondering what size buoy any of you guys are using. They have a 13" buoy for up to 30 lb. anchors, a 16" buoy for up to 60 lb. and a 18" buoy for up to 80 lb. anchors. I'll be using a 25 lb. river anchor w/ 5' of chain between anchor and rope. By there specs the 13" one should do, but I've fished with 3 or 4 people that use them and I remember there buoys being bigger like the 16" or 18" and were using an anchor no bigger than mine. I'll probably go with the 16" buoy, but I'd like to hear some of your opinions first. Thanks, TNVOLCAT

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I run an 16" size, My anchor is 30-35 lbs. You'll love it they are handier then a two pocketed shirt

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    And it takes you 5X as long to move now too...:wink:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Brad, I couldn't agree more. I guess Andrew is referring to is the extra bit of farting around to up-anchor as opposed to just hauling it in?
    I agree it does take a little longer and when I was a young thruster I would have considered the Anchor Lift equipment for old geezers. I have a 30lb anchor that I can still lift hand-over-hand from 65 feet of water but now I AM an old geezer with a couple of back procedures behind me (no pun there eh?) I can and will use all the help I can get. In summer I will fish round the clock and often alone on weekends and that can be a lot of moves. The Anchor Lift is my friend. Go for more lift than you need. Can't hurt to have extra help.
    It may just be me but I think the yellow one is a lot more visible than the orange..W

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Winston, thanks for the tip, I was planning to get the yellow one anyway.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Andrew, I'll graciously give up a few extra minutes to save my arms and back for fightin' the hawgs!

Another thing I like about the anchor lift system, is if you've got the anchor rope rigged right with the buoy system, you can unhook the whole thing from the boat and let the buoy keep up with the rope and anchor if you needed to get your boat moved in a hurry for fighting a BIG fish, an oncoming barge, floating trees, lightning storm, or whatever. I've read a few posts where someone had to do this.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    andrew is full of.....well you know what.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Brandon,
    A word of warning here. When you set the anchor and the Anchor Lift is floating just in front of the boat you could, depending on the length of your anchor rope, have a lot of rope still left in the boat. If you jettison the rope to follow a fish or run away from a barge all that "unused" rope will uncoil downstream. When you come back to pick up the rope or settle back into your fishing spot remember that the Anchor Lift buoy is not at the END OF THE ROPE and there will be rope trailing downstream from the buoy. If you approach from downstream you may pick that trailing rope up in your prop', especially if you have the rope that floats. The results from that rope getting into the prop can be disastrous; I know of at least one boat that was sunk because of this. Not trying to scare you here and this is not a fault of the Anchor Lift but knowing that this has happened I could not help but mention it...W

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This year I have fished the miss river. I tied a 24" inflatable boat fender to my anchor line, when I hung a fish threw it overboard and never saw it again. The current pulled it under. I decided to buy the anchor lift from cabellas. The catalog didnt have a lot of imfo other than it would float like 60lbs. While I waited on it to come in the mail I tied 2 6gal fuel tanks together to use. The first time I threw it out(the fuel tanks) they just barley broke the surface of the water. After getting the package from cabellas I can tell it wont work just looking at it. To make a long story short I now use a 22" dia/70"cir bouy from Memphis net and twine and a ironwood pacific anchor lift from cabellas. I also tie the small bouy(from cabellas) to the tag end of the line just so Ill know where it is. The big bouy was $62 and the lift $20. I never had to use anything like that in the Tenn river or anywhere else I've fished but that mississippi current is a little stronger. The anchor lift system is a real back saver and I wouldnt trade it for anything.

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Winston, I know a fellow that had this happen last year on the Miss. River. Of course it scared the crap out of him, but he survived w/ no injuries. Good part is his insurance totalled the boat and he's got a new Lund 20' Sport Angler now. "ALWAYS WEAR A LIFE JACKET!" I'm glad he was.

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, you're right about that Miss. current. I grew up fishing the Tenn. and the Cumb. but got a chance to fish the Miss. w/ a gentleman 3 yrs ago. That river is just amazing! I'm very impressed with its power and how the conditions can change from one mile to the next.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I use the 16" Anchor Lift to pull a 29 pound lead anchor and it works great. I don't always use it but it is a lifesaver sometimes, although it can be a bit tricky at times. Haven't had to ditch the anchor yet. I lost one earlier this year with a smaller float so I know what you mean about the Mississippi sucking it under.

It is a great tool, especially when fishing alone.

13. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I ordered the 16" anchor lift system from Ironwood Pacific this morning. Thank you guys for your imput on these and helping me determine which one to choose!