What sinkers in the Mississippi River?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 2, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    When you need a no-roll sinker bigger than an 8 oz what do you use. I can't find a mold bigger than 8 oz for the no roll sinkers.

I prefer a slip sinker rig as it seems to tangle on itself less in the rivers current. (as compared to a drop-sinker setup)

But.......... what do I know? I am still learning.

Please enlighten me with your wisdom folks...........

What I really want to know ultimately is if you can fish a spot in the river other than straight DOWNSTREAM of the boat? Because that is where my lines always end up, even with 8 oz of lead tied on.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I don't have a problem at all finding molds for the bigger sinkers. Try Ebay, it seems there are several different molds on there for the bigger no-rolls. I do know that Dunn's Sporting goods carrys the molds for 14 and 16 ounce no-rolls. I would also try Bluff City tackle in Alton IL. They carry all of the big sinkers. Somtimes I will ocassionally use two of the 8's on one rod if I don't have anything larger. Now that I have the larger sinkers, that isn't a problem.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Okay Gary, you have officially lost your mind.

Tried both Dunns and Bluff City. No one carries a no-roll larger than the 8 oz by Do-It Molds.

Can you be a little more specific about exactly what kind of molds you are using. (Even if they are a figment of your imagination?) :wink:

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i know a guy that used to use spark plugs when fishing in the big rivers around here...dont know if they would work in the miss. but they worked good here

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
  6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Todd, you da man.

Thanks a lot buddy. I'll get one on order.

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I custom made some sinkers for Gary in the 14 ounce range as an experiment to see if they will work or not. He graciously volunteered to be a test subject for this new type of weight I designed. So we should know here in a few days rather if they work or not and Ill make up a post on how to make them.

Otherwise, you can stack slip sinkers on as I have used 5 - 5 ounce eggs before that will get you down to anywhere you need to go. You might run into a problem with the 12 to 16 ounce egg sinkers as the slip hole is much bigger and you will have to go to a 3/0 swivel and or a much larger bead on your line. So we are hoping that this new sinker will take care of that problem and will get back soon with the resultsÂ…

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Todds got you covered. Check out the link.:smile2:

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I was just at Dunn's in Pevely the other day, and they had some 14oz. molds there. In fact they had two of them. They must have sold them.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i found that when fishing from a boat, a no roll is about as worthless as tits on a boar. the current makes them plane off the bottom. you can hold a bigger bait down with the same weight when using bank sinkers. i use flat bank and regular bank sinkers. i like the regular ones best.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Interesting comment Mark. That does make sense.

Maybe I should give the drop sinker set-up another chance.

Does everyone else tangle more with this setup? I don't mean get hung up on the bottom, I mean when you pull up your line and find it all knotted up on itself. LOL

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Put your rod tips down closer to the water and dont fish out more than a 30 degree angle then. This gives you 60 degrees to fish off the back of your boat. You do not need anything more than that as your line will then drift with current and you will have to take up the slack to set the hook anyhow. You are only allowed 4 to 6 poles with a partner anyhow, 60 degrees gives you plenty of room. If you want more of an angle or over there... Move your boat.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Okay Vince, thanks for the tips.

I am still trying trying to get a feel for the river.

I am using 8 oz no-rolls and sometimes wonder if I am on the bottom.

I can tell when it hits bottom on the cast when the line is free-spooling to the bottom. I just wonder if it doesn't plane up after the line gets tightened when the current is really ripping.

I'm a noob, lots to learn.

At least I am finally catching fish.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Mark, If your rig was "planing" just off the bottom, that's a puuurrfect setup for the blues. :wink: In fact, i'll release my weight until it hits bottom, then crank it up 3 or 4 turns. That bait fluttering in the current drives the blues nuts. hint hint. Now if its big flatties like in your photo your after, I agree absolute bottom is best. Get out there and put some tits on that boar. :smile2:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Darryl, sounds like you are using cheap swivels if you are getting alot of line twist. You fish the area south of Winfield if my feeble memory serves me, so you are fishing fast currents. Upgrade your swivels and you'll see an end to that problem. You are certainly going to pay more for the good one's but well worth it in my opinion. I think I pay 2.89 for five of them. Mine are very, very small but have a 330 pound breaking strength. I like the small ones as there is much less drag in the water from your swivel and it doesnt dance around as much. Its your bait you want dancin, not your swivel. Heres a link to buy them. I use the number Spro #1's which have the 330 pound breaking strength. Never had one fail, and rarely get line twist. You will notice how smooth they are when you tie on your line and the swivel head twist while your tying it on. :big_smile: You'll get use to it though. Give em a try. I think You will be very pleasantly pleased.

http://www.anglerscenter.com/terminal_swivels.htm

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'll try these out Cuz. You are using these with a slip-sinker setup I assume since they are two way swivels?

I'll try that hint out also.

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Darryl,
    Cuz is giving ya the goods on good swivels. Ball bearing swivels is the only way to go to keep the bait from wading up your rig. Every once in a while we have one waded up, its now usually caused by catching a line tag that was sticking out a little far and not due to the swivel not working properly.

Best advice on sinkers would be getting a cannonball mold. They drop fast and straight down with no flutter and what we look for when it hits bottom, i personally like to pull up on the rod and drop it back down to feel the sinker hit the bottom. If i can't feel it i'll walk it down by pulling up and letting out more line til i feel it on the bottom or move on up in weight. 14 to 16 ounce is kinda common to use as most of my smaller weights are at least 10 ounces.... Hope this helps.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Danny,

Isn't that Cannonball gonna "roll on down the river"?

How would it hold in position in the current being round and all?

Would you rig this on a 3 way swivel, sinker on the bottom, hook on the drop?

LINE
    I
    I
    ------ HOOK
    I
    I
    SINKER

19. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    For what it is worth Darryl, I use a 2 way swivel between my main and my hook leader, with a 2 way threaded through the eye to hold my weight leader.

I use 50 for the hook leader, 30 off my reel for my main line, and 17 off the weight.

Looks like this...

LINE
    I
    I
    00------ SINKER
    I
    I
    I
    I
    HOOK

(I am also still learning, but this system has done real well fishing the surf in the great lakes and the Gulf of Mex.

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Darryl,
    I've found that the less things the line will hang on (ie smooth swivel) the less it'll wad.

My rig usually consist of a two way swivel just as cuz mentioned. On one end i tie my main line (65pd line) and sinker line (30pd). On the other end my leader/hook (65pd mono). Using it much like a three way only simplifying it because i've had bad results with three way swivels wading up.

Like i said before if i can't feel it hit bottom after i lift up on it and bring the rod back down. I'll either up the weight or keep pulling up on it and walking it down until i do. Either way will work depending on how much current your in.

As for holding in place i engage the reel and set my drag at 10pds. In current as long as its on bottom it the current usually keeps the line tight. Hope this helps.