What sinker weight?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, May 20, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What weight sinkers does everyone use to hold their bluegills in place? I fish in a lake and have been using 3oz. egg sinkers on a carolina rig, but the gills still seem to drag it around alot. Should I go up to 4 or 5 oz.?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 2-5 ounce weights, in the bank sinker style. i mainly fish lakes too. egg sinkers require less effort to drag around due to their shape. try a no roll, bank, flat bank, or no snag sinker, it will hold a lively bait better. i use 6-8 inch live carp and a 3 ounce holds them just fine if i use any of the styles mentioned above. hope this helps!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would say Jordan nailed it on the head. I know everyone has got a favorite style sinker, but about the only good thing I can think of to say for an egg sinker, is they are heavy. But they don't hold worth poo-poo. If I need a style that allows the line to slip through it, I use no-rolls. If I fish a mud/silt bottom, or am drifting, I use the bank sinker. I know, every ones favorite is just as good, but I only have to purchase two styles of sinkers. LOL

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I agree with the above mention.... no rolls or flat bank sinkers should be your sinker of choice in that situation.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David I think you will be happy with the no roll sinkers. Start with the same weight you are presently using and work up according to current.

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i fish rivers and creeks and use the same 2-5oz no roll works for me and they will hold big baits like carp or bullhead

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive got some 2 and 3 oz No rolls, but they didn't seem to be any better than the eggs when I tried them last year. I think I will try doubling up and using a 2oz no roll with a 2 or 3oz. egg, or double up on the no rolls.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If the no-roll is not holding in current, I'll guarantee you the egg sinker will not hold. LOL. Just use a bigger no-roll and it will hold. Use a bigger egg sinker and it will still roll. LOL. That's the nature of the beast.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    EGG SINKERS ARE FOR CAST NETS, NO ROLL ALL THE WAY:big_smile:

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I think another problem is at hand if a 2 or 3oz no roll is being dragged around. Maybe something with the way your Carolina rig is made ? One of us will figure something out for ya I'm sure.

-Jim-

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the river i fish has alot of current and very shallow when i do fish the current it is on the deep side right outside of the jam or structure try tossing your bait a little bit up stream then let it come in to the hole
    maybe this will help

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i had some 2 oz. bank sinkers but lost em all. dang river is snaggy. anyway i got 1 oz egg sinkers that a flatten into a modified no roll and i can put more on depending on the current

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if you need some just come over to the house i sell them on jacks web site and have a bunch here at the house any size you need

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    David,
    As mentioned, some kind of no-roll will hold better than an egg sinker but don't be afraid to trim the tails of your bait fish to reduce their swimming power.
    Trim a little or a lot depending on the size of the bait but keep to the tail fin and do not cut the the body where the tail joins...W

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ok. soon as i get some money ill come get some from ya.

16. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    When I choose what weight to use I factor in three things, since I fish mainly large rivers I look at the current, how big my bait is and if I am fishing in a hole or in the main current. I find the using a breakaway sinker line of about 16" helps get my 1-8 oz weights down in between rocks and a 3 oz can hold in the heavy water coming over a dam if you snag the bottom with the sinker. When a fish grabs it I let him take some line to get him out of the cover and then I tight line and let him have it. Breakaways seem to let me use lighter weights, and the bait I use is the weight for the cast all the sinker does for me is keeps the large bait from swimming into a snag. Hope this helps ya, goodluck, and hope you hookahawg

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hrmm, kinda odd to me.. I fish gills in a lake with no current pretty much ALL the time and only use a 1-3 oz No Roll OR Egg with no problems...what are they doing to make you think they dragging it around so much? Also, I prefer em to move/thrash about a bit, helps get the attention of Mr Flathead, but the most I see is the occasional line tighten or at the most a very small rod tip bounce..

18. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I will give this a try with the larger gills. The green sunfish seem to be the worst. I'll try handicapping them a bit and use the sinkers I have. Thanks everyone.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <what are they doing to make you think they dragging it around so much? Also, I prefer em to move/thrash about a bit, helps get the attention of Mr Flathead, but the most I see is the occasional line tighten or at the most a very small rod tip bounce...

I was wondering the same thing, and thought the same thing you said.
    BB in SC

20. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    im in the thinkins of SubnetZero and Bill in SC, im thinking u might have to tighten up ur drag some and not let them run off from the hole ur wanting to fish, when i first got into flathead fishing i learned really quick that umm there going to swim everywhere they want too unless i tighten the drag down and keep them in one area, u just wanna tighten it down just enough to keep them from taking line and moving all over the lake, using a carolina rig allows the line to slide through, the only way they would be able to move the weight would be to put full tension on the line, try tightening ur drag up some see if that helps too, and dont hurt to experiment with other options, the clipped tail fin works well too.