what should i use.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Feb 10, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    im curious what type of rod, reel, line weight, and bait. new to carp fishing and i want to catch and make my own bait this season for fishing and trapping so i dont have to pay a bunch of money for it. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Zeb welcome to the BOC sorry i cant help with carp fishing but im sure someone will be along soon to help you.

3. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I am not catfishing I am carpfishing what I use is spinning rod and reel in the med. size and 12lb line, for bait I use wheat bread mixed with peanutbutter, and vanilla extract mix it all together till it thickens. I normallly use very little to no weight at all.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Never underestimate the power of the almighty nightcrawler on a size 8 baitholder, fished no, or minimal weight! All of biggest carp have come off nightcrawlers, but I only fish for them on my trips back to Iowa where we target them under dams in heavy current. These fish are also built differently from their cousins in slower moving, or lake enviroments where a 10lbs. fish being considerable longer and more "streamlined", instead of stocky and sow bellied. But a nightcrawler should get plenty if they are in your area!

Note: Natural is what you are shooting for here, don't overkill the weight or it sinks to fast and the fish will feel the weight when they pick up. Line, depending on stucture. I've caught carp up to 12lbs. on 4# test, but had abslolute bohemoths snap 30# braid.

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Zeb, welcome to the BOC ! I can assure you that if you use a can of whole kernal corn it's the easyest and one of the best baits for carp you can use, and of course all of us have dough baits and everyone has caught them on a hundred different baits, but hands down corn is still a bait that will always catch em and channels love corn too, caught a 9 lb. channel on a carp bait which is a small hook that holds 4 kernals of corn.:eek:oooh:
    The best rig that I have found is 10-12 lb. line, egg sinker, double barrel swivel and a 16 +- inch leader. Your hook is no larger than what you can put 4 kernels of corn on and it has to be a bait hook, no crappie hooks here, carp are tooo strong.
    The weight is whatever you need cuz the line slides through a egg sinker or a plastic worm sinker. When you get ready to fish take a handful of corn and throw it in front of where you are going to fish as chum, cast out there and after your bait sinks make sure that you have slack in your line so when the fish picks up your bait they feel NO tension on the line and when the line starts to get straight set the HOOK__FISHON!!!:big_smile:

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    cant use corn hominy or any of that stuff. the closest thing to corn we can use is corn power bait. utah is really strict with the fishing an hunting laws you can only use 1 pole when fishing unless you buy a permit for a second pole. and you cant use gills and perch for bait. so im stuck with the carp and only the dead ones you cant use live bait except for nightcrawlers and crawfish. but thanks for the advice.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Corn Tortillas my friend, OLAY!! :big_smile:

8. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    sounds good except for the corn laws.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Try some corn syrup in a carp based bait, stealth like.

10. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    ill have to give that a try. hey might even catch a few cats in the process. around here they love any thing sweet.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like stale Kix cereal soaked in strawberry soda or my homemade doughballs using oatmeal, wheat germ, and strawberry soda.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    No offense but Id move from UT!:wink:But seriously worms are a a good choice for your situation.

13. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    For a rod and reel Try a Medium-Heavy action spinning rod of 7" to 8" and a spinning reel that can hold plenty of 12lb test. You can use 10lb but i use 12 for all of the wood piles in my local lake. Or if you would like, you can try the European way of fishing and get a rod in the 11" to 12" foot range with a spinning reel with a bait runner feature with, once again, plenty of 12lb line capacity. If you would like to try the european style, then try one of Cabelas Predator Spinning Rods, and the Salt Striker Bait feeding spinning reel they offer as well. The 16 ounce version paired with the 1 3/4 Pound test curve verion of the Predator spinning rod is a great match. If you want to make your own baits the try typing in Carp Bait recipes at google. There you will find plenty of Dough baits that do not use corn as an ingredient. Night crawlers red worms and even crayfish may work. It all depends on what the carp feed on in your area. Try blowing the The worms up with air with a Worm air blower so they will float off of the bottom. This will make them an even more effective.

14. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    carp love spicy food especially garlic try free lineing a piece of garlic sausage or peperami(like a small salami) dont stick too sweet stuff. naturals are also good worms, maggots but the best is floating bread ( as long as there's none of our feathered freinds about)

15. ckruger1005

ckruger1005 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Have always caught carp on night crawlers, with a sinker to lay them on the bottom.. Corn has worked just as well. Sounds like everyone has their own bait that seems to work. Actually caught my biggest carp ever on a fuzzy tail jig while i was crappie fishing this summer.

16. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    Zeb,

There are tons of doughbait recipes on the web. When I first started, I tried various recipes out there until I found that most of my success came on keeping the recipe simple. I've seen guys clean up with just add water doughbait.

Good luck.