What should I use for big walleye.

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Apr 14, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    What should i use for big walleye. I have only caught a few and they were all really small. Thanks for any help.

2. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    To tell you the truth location for big walleye is more important than lures or bait. I have found that big walleyes like to relate to structure where deep water meets shallow water. For example, a weedy flat that is about 7 feet deep that is very close to a deep drop off. The walleyes will come shallow to feed then retreat back to the deeper water to rest.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are catching many small walleyes there are usually no big ones around. I have seen that large fish tend to move together and small fish tend to move together but not in the same places.

Don't be afraid to fish shallow for big fish, especially this time of year when the water is warming up.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    3-5" bluegills work pretty good for me on walleye. i haven't caught one over 7 pounds, but hopefully that is due to change this year!

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea big shad raps work good for walleye

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always liked a June bug spinner with a three inch minnow,and just pull it along the bottom below a dam.
    smokey

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you willlove it:smile2:

7. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    The whole out side of the lake is a damm. So but there is a drop off in the middle. The edge of the channel in the middle goes from 15-29 feet would that be a good place to fish.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Theres a bunch of great new walleye baits out there, I like the old tried an true Lindy rigs with a leech or bass minnow or a shadrap 3" or so and a 3" roadrunner tipped with a leech.

9. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    i have found a very good artifical bait that works great on rivers as well as lakes, it is called a walleye assassin. it is sort of like a mimic minnow but with flecks in the minnow itself. i use a jig head and simply bounce them off the bottom with a slow retrieve.