Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
To tell you the truth location for big walleye is more important than lures or bait. I have found that big walleyes like to relate to structure where deep water meets shallow water. For example, a weedy flat that is about 7 feet deep that is very close to a deep drop off. The walleyes will come shallow to feed then retreat back to the deeper water to rest.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are catching many small walleyes there are usually no big ones around. I have seen that large fish tend to move together and small fish tend to move together but not in the same places.

Don't be afraid to fish shallow for big fish, especially this time of year when the water is warming up.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
3-5" bluegills work pretty good for me on walleye. i haven't caught one over 7 pounds, but hopefully that is due to change this year!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I always liked a June bug spinner with a three inch minnow,and just pull it along the bottom below a dam.
smokey

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
Theres a bunch of great new walleye baits out there, I like the old tried an true Lindy rigs with a leech or bass minnow or a shadrap 3" or so and a 3" roadrunner tipped with a leech.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have found a very good artifical bait that works great on rivers as well as lakes, it is called a walleye assassin. it is sort of like a mimic minnow but with flecks in the minnow itself. i use a jig head and simply bounce them off the bottom with a slow retrieve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.