What should I get??

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kycatman01, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am thinking about picking up a new catfish reel. I already have (2) Abu 6000 but I am looking for something a little different. Any ideas? Also, where can I get the bearings(or bushings) to upgrade my Abu 6000's?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you want something different and better then an abu go get your self a shimano tekota.

berrings? http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Get a 7000. It's different and can handle more or heavier line. You can get bearings from a place in california, I believe it's called VMX bearings.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well depends what ya want. a 6000 is a good real. a 6500 looks and feels the same but if ya put bearings in the 6000's you basically got a 6500. and they wont feel much different. are ya wanting bigger. a 7000 will fit the bill. do ya want spinning? different can mean a million different things.
    penn #9's are a bit different. feel a little heafter with the salt water feel and will crank in big boys too. i use mine for flathead fishing with large bluegills for bait. :wink:

bearings. there are a couple auctions on ebay if ya want ten.

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.a...&bc=SK&type=K&cat=rccrossrefguide&pg=5&mfr=64
    ceramic

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.a...t=productsubgroup&id=0&bc=SK&type=fishspecial
    econo

http://www.castawaylakes.com/AbuGarciaParts.html

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I really like my Penn 209's and 309's for catfishing. I like the levelwind feature (some don't) and these are good sized tough reels. Easy to work on and maintain as well, parts are easy to get... Most of the older Penn's you see on Ebay are good stout reels, even the smaller ones. Be cautious with new ones, as all Penn reels (since about 2006) are now made in China...

If you are looking for a spinning reel, the Shimano Baitrunner should be on your list.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    some more info would help with suggestions like bigger, shinny, more power, spinning. pflueger contender g30 is nice and bigger penn320gt2 bigger, Pflueger trion 66 is shinny and so are abu crome rockets. the penn general purpose levelwinds 209 309 have more power. I dont use spinning so im not sure on spinners penns got some nice big ones.

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys. I have heard great things from Penns and the 7000 reels. I can't really afford the 7000 right now but maybe soon. I have a Tidewater reel. Will that hold a bigger fish since they will hold alot of big line but how about the gears and reel setup??

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Just get something different from the old 6000 reel.

9. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    if you are happy with the distance, theres no need to add bearings as this equals more maintenance.

10. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    If you like baitcast try basspro megacast. The are on page67 of 2008 master catolg. BEeen useing them for 2 years and had no problems. I use agood 20lb line. biggest i have caught on them is 24 lber. My fishin partner has used 6000 for years but he started replacing them with the megacast. A bonus is the are only $30 sometimes on sale for $25. There are 2 models get the one for heavy line. Good luck

11. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Forget to mention berkely makes a good rod its 6 1/2 ft one piece med hvy trigger grip i buy at waalyworld for $20

12. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I heard that Abu 6500 and 7000 are pretty good for catfish.