What should I do

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by sirdank, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello, just started up on BOC, I am looking for a new reel but Im not sure
    what model. I've been looking a the Abu 3c and 4c. I want one with a line out alarm I am having a heck of a time finding out which models do and do not. I would like to find a small to mid size if available. Thanks

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look at the 6500c3 or 7000c3 This may be what you want. I have both and like them.
    Welcome to the BOC

3. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Adam welcome to the boc. I have been a member since febuary and its great. what kind of catfishing are you doing? Are you after channel cats with dip bait or flatheads with live bait? I picked up a shakespeare tidewater and an uglystick catfish for about 70.00 total its a great all around river setup.

4. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I suppose it would be channel mostly, but I go to minnesota every year for northern and muskie. I would like to use bigger bait for flathead, I have a abu silvermax i bought in a combo, it needs to be rebuilt.. but that is another story. I suppose something I could use here and up north. Personally I'd like to try some different techniques and stay away from the dip bait for now.

A reel for the bass, and the panfish and one for the the cats, and northern. Is what I need advice on.

Oh and thanks very much for the welcome!

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    An ABU 6000/6500/6600 series is what you are looking for your flathead/pike/muskie reel. They all have clickers on them, and hold enough line for most fishing applications, even more so if you're using braid instead of mono. Put it on a 7ft-7.5ft muskie rod and you've got it covered.

6. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the help I've heard from stores i've called that there is no clicker until you get up to 6600c4 is there a place where I can see all the specs on the reels. And what kind of braided would you recommend. I have had good luck with spider wire stealth. But I have never really fished with that big of bait (hence no monsters yet). To put it bluntly I could use all the advice I can get. Most of my exp. is channel cat with liver, dip bait, and what not.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The storebought Abu's you'll encounter (Round reels) that have clickers will be in the 6XXX series..and up, 7XXX, 9XXX, 10XXX, the 7000's are a bit heavier duty and have more line capacity. I like the 7000's myself, and have several of those as well as the 6500's.
    Some others have been made with the clickers, through the years, but, they aren't usually available at the retail level, I'm thinking.
    Take a look on e-bay,Look up baitcasters,or Abu Garcia Baitcasters, there's a bunch on there, and you can get an idea...C3's, C4's, CS, etc. are excellent.. differences are bearings, gear ratio's, and drag components.. They can all be changed if someone wants to,, 5.3:1 to 6.3:1 or vice-versa,, drags upgraded, bushings to bearings, Power handles...
    You can't really go wrong,, I've even put clicker sideplates on 4600's and 5600 series reels and they work fine..They are narrower, and have a few different internal components. All the ones I've worked on have very well made maingears and pinions, machined brass, looks like to me,,
    Let us know how it goes:wink: And,,, WELCOME to the BOC:smile2:

8. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well said.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    6000 abu 65# power pro 7' one piece ugly stik catfish :wink:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Here is the link to Abu Garcia they have all the specs
    http://www.abugarcia.com/cat.php?k=132487&sk=132487
    Hope this helps

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT GOING ON EBAY AND GETTING A PENN #9 OR 209? THE OLDER ONES WERE MADE IN THE USA.
    NOT WHIZBANG REELS BUT STURDY AND WILL LAST FOREVER!
    JUST MY OPINION, IN REALITY GET THE ONE THAT you ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.
    DID YOU SEE WHAT NC CAUGHT THEIR STATE RECORD CHANELL CAT ON?
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,407901,00.html

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    welcome to the BOC ,i haven,t been cat fishing long enough to guess what kind of r&r to tell u to us i,m using penn squidder,s that i surffish & live bait fish with on ugly sticks

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There's a lot of decent gear to choose from, depends how much you want to spend. I just wouldn't go too cheap. I've listed some of my preferences below...

For quality reels, look at Abu, Okuma, Pflueger, Penn.

For rods, depends what you like. Ugly Stick (catfish or Tiger rods), Quantum (not the Bill Dance ones), Surge, Shimano, Saint Croix (if you have bucks), Team Catfish.. lot of choices. Don't go too cheap on the rod. Besides the action/feel, look at how it's constructed tip, wraps, etc. Make sure it's put together solid. I put some line on and test how it "loads up" to see how flexible the tip is, how well the load is spread throughout the rod, and how much lifting power (backbone) it has.

You can buy a decent catfish outfit for $50, and a pretty nice one for $100. If you watch sales and stuff, maybe even cheaper.

I use both spinning and bait casting, but a lot of guys fishing heavy cover prefer to stick with the baitcasters. More important than anything is good line (as in not all beat up), and properly set drag.

Good luck!

Shawn

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    6500 c3 is probably the most versatile of the 5/6/7 series. it has a decent line capacity, clicker, and phenomenal castability. if you're willing to spend a good 60-90 bucks (depending on where you get it from) this is the real to get.