What should i do with em??

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by TX Fisherman, Sep 14, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i trap turtles in my back yard, and ill keep the snappers, or give them to someone wholl eat em, but i dont know what to do with soft shell and red ear slider turtles? i dont really wanna kill em but i have no where to put em and there to big to sell to pet stores???

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    all i could say is take em down to the creek or pond and let em go.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    for the allmighty's sake dont start another thread about killin' innocent creatures, you lil' trouble maker. lmao!!

seriously though i would prolly take them somewhere and turn them loose.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Give 'em a kiss on their little forehead, pat 'em on the butt and put 'em back in the water. Snakes don't eat them, might eat their eggs but so do skunks. Now don't kiss the skunks on the forehead or pat them on the butt Tx.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Big soft shells are really good eating also. I'd take the others to a creek and let them go.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The soft shells are good to eat also. My dog catchs box turtles that wonder up in the yard all the time. I just carry them back toward the pond and let them go....

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with some of the others, the softshells are really good eating either deep fried or in soup. The others let them go.

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    well see thats the point, theres a ton of box and red ear sliders in there, and its about the only part of the creek that can support all of them, i figure i just take em to a local pond

9. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hey, those softshells are some good eating lil Brother. Turn the rest loose..

10. mbodner

mbodner New Member

State:
    kansas
    leave them alone they are harmless and very friendly

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Just curious, but if you have no use for them then why do you trap them? Just let them go. They are part of the ecosystem and killing them for no reason is a waste and abuse of natural resources.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to keep those sliders and box turtles when i was a kid, and now we keep a 'turtle herd' for our girls. they have a kiddie pool with sliders and small softshells, and a little tote with box turtles in it. pretty interesting little animals. the softshells are just as good as the snappers to eat, just a little more catankerous!

13. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am no fan of soft shell turtles they are bait robbers and very ugly. Box turtles are harmless and here they don't get real big. They help keep the bug population under control. I guess I was like most kids I kept a box (painted turtle) turtle in the swimming pool when I was a kid too. :wink:

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kevin you sure you arent my kin? Ya on your own on this one!!! Every time I stick up for you I start getting junk mail from PETA. Whats next? Swan stew? Carrier pigeon pie? I think ya need to come to Iowa and let me put ya wondering mind to work. I think I have gotton rid of all the endangered species on my farm so your safe!! Oh and I will hide the magnafying glass before you get here!!

15. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oops I just did a search on the slider turtle, that is what we always called a box turtle or a painted turtle. I have actually never seen a box turtle here. :embarassed:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya let the red ear and sliders go. why move them? if thats the only place that will support them then they should be left alone. i agree. if ya have no use for them leave em be. moving them may kill em. eat the big softys, yum.

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    How big do the soft shells need to be to eat ? I catch some that are usually about 14' across. Is this a average size ? I've ate frogs but didn't care for them, is turtle about the same taste ? I don't kill them but if you unhook them and carry them way up shore and let them go they will run like crazy flipping over rocks like little made man. Somehow they always know what direction to run. Hey at least I don't kill them , lol.

18. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i dont kill em, and i tried keepin a slider? howd yall feed him??? he died cause the minnows i gave him died from the chlorine? he was a little one, bout 8"