What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by SmokinBarrel, Dec 4, 2009.

Which item would you pick to purchase 1st?

1. A. Bimini Top

2. B. Fishing/Radar Arch

3. C. Lowrance HDS 8 Fish Finder

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I will have the money by Feb./Mar to make my next purchase, or boat improvement. But, I am having a hard time deciding which to purchase first. I plan to purchase all three items below over then next 3 - 4 years budget permitting. So, if you had the choice, what would be your choice?

Note: I definitely plan to buy the Bimini Top & HDS 8 Lowrance Depth finder, with the Fishing/Radar Arch being an optional purchase (I am not sure yet).

What I like about the Arch is that I can store my net and rods out of the way. And, I can mount lights as well as speakers to it without drilling into the boat itself.

So, here are the choices....

A. Bimini Top
    B. Fishing/Radar Arch
    C. Lowrance HDS 8 Fish Finder

Each will cost approx. $1700 - 2200.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would personally go for the HDS 8 first. I don't use my Bimini much, although I wish i had an enclosure for the cold. I think I am going to make one cheap out of canvas. My HDS 7 is great, and it was a good investment.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If you don't already have a good sonar unit, that would definititely be the first thing on my list. Other than that, get the top Dennis! It'll make them cold or rainy days a lot more bearable!

4. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I currently have the Hummingbird 565, 2000 peak watts, dual cone 20/60 degree.

Link: Hummingbird 565

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would go with the hds 8 the top aint gonna do any good without finding the fish.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Since you got the locater go with the top. In case ya didn't notice it is COLD out this morning!! :wink:

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dennis check with gore marine in wilm nc for the radar arch ,tell them Jolly told you to check with them on it .Also let me look an i had a name for a top company in sc that has the best prices on bimini tops that i have found

the name of the top co . is boatcoversdirect they beat everyone else i looked at by a good bit

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. Sumpfmann

Sumpfmann New Member

State:
    Florida
    Cool boat. I was wondering why do you need radar? Commercial river traffic?

9. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I really don't need the arch. The reason I was considering is to place most if not all my electronics on the arch for simplification. And, for storage of my rods/net while on the water - conveniently out of the way (convenience). Then I wouldn't have to drill countless holes in the gunnel (sides) for additional interior lights, etc....

I don't need a radar for around here. I just call it a radar arch.

10. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would for sure get the sonar. I've owned the same HB and a couple years ago got a lms525c df and can say there is a huge difference in the two. The HDS units weren't out until 3 months after I bought the lms:sad2:.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted for the HDS 8. It all depends on your priority.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd get the Top and see how that fits, in use and storage, then the other accessories can be fitted around that .
    Hard to say between that and a fish finder, though,,; I just use a cheap finder to see depth and bottom structure mostly. Haven't had much luck with one locating catachable fish for me... I may need more time on the water with it!! :wink:

13. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Well i dont have a boat...i hope to have one next year...but the very first thing i would buy is the fish finder!!

14. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    lol i voted top but my vote might be biased due to the fact thats gonna be my next upgrade :roll_eyes:

15. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    dennis I have been out in your boat so I guess I have some insider info.....lol :big_smile: It is a very nice boat I might add. I know we talked about it some but I think adding a trolling motor would add different oppions to your fishing experiences. It would add the option to drift fish. I voted for the fish finder out of the list.

16. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I voted for the fish finder, but would defiantly put a good trolling motor at the top of the list if you don't have one. Personally, I find biminis cumbersome and in the way most of the time. I've never had a radar arch on any of my boats and after having seen Skipeye's "CAT SASS" in person. it would be far too tall for me to get it in my garage.

17. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i chose the lowrance hds 8 ..

no matter which 1 you chose you will love it tho !!!!!!!:big_smile:

congrats on a new boat !!!!

18. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I voted for the HD 8, I don't know the new sizes but make sure that it has atleast a 7 inch screen the detail on the gps and sonar are so much better. Learn from my mistake don't get the navionics central us card it has alot of main without the depth contours and that is the whole idea.:wink: As far as the bimi top get you a couple of umbrellas, much cheaper and easier to get around the boat.:big_smile:That is pondwater's thought for the day.:tounge_out:

19. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Pondwater,

Now that is a thought regarding a Bimini Top. Just use one or two large umbrellas to keep the heat/sun off ya in the Spring or Summer. Heck, I could find a simple way to mount them. I will definitely keep that in mind has an inexpensive alternative. I should have got the Top with the boat when I bought it, but as you know, it is give and take - I had to stick to my budget, of which I went slightly over when I bought the boat. :eek:oooh:

As it looks, I think my next big purchase will be the HDS 8. I sure do like the idea of a tower, which will really help out and create more room without having to store stuff inside the boat.