What shotguns?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by catfishbills, Feb 23, 2007.

1. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was just wondering what everyones preference is on there duck hunting guns? This is an on going debate and issue for sure! I have used them all, and seem to always go back to the rem 870! I really like the new Benelli Super 2, but time will tell! The Browning gold 3 1/2 has yet to jam though! I was just curious....Does anyone use the Berretta Extrema 2?

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Bill, I have an 870 that I've used for the last 15 years. I think a guy gets use to a gun when he get it to fit and stays with it. I did anyway. Ive used others but always go back to that old 870. Way back 25 years ago I used an old Marlin bolt action with a 36" barrel. Marked on the side "The Orignal Mariln Goosegun". Still have but never use it ony more.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I used the 870 when I hunted for water foul but I used a browning sweet 16 for Quail loved them both

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In all honesty I dont hunt ducks anymore as I hate to eat them I much prefer to hunt geese and my gun of choice is an ITHICA 30"bbl 3"mag field gradewith screw-in chokes .its not near as appealing to hunt waterfoul since they did away with lead shot

5. maumeeflats

maumeeflats New Member

State:
    ohio
    i also use a 870 in 3"chamber, like already said that is what im used to

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i watched that video on the barretta it looks like an awsome gun i wish i could afford one

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I recently subscribed to Gun test magazine. In thier gun buyers issue they recommend against the Berretta extrema 2 because it isnt worth the extra cost over a browning gold . I have never shot a berretta so I can only relay what some one else has said.

I have a 870 that I have shot for 20 plus years. It never fails and it always preforms. I love it . For the money best gun you can buy.

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I still have an 870 wingmaster that I bought over 20 years ago. It's my favorite duck hunting gun by far. I have a newer 870, and I've hunted with an 1100 and a Browning B80 (they don't make them anymore either). The 870 is easy to clean which I had to do often since I hunted saltmarshes primarily.

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    For waterfowl I'll take my 870 Supermag over one of those Italian Jam-o-matics every time. They are field tested and proven reliable over and over again. Plus if you loose it in the river your out $300 instead of $1300.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A buddy I hunt with has an Xtrema 2 and loves it. He bought it to replace an 11-87 that despite sending it directly back to Remington many times, it still malfunctions constantly. My main duck guns are an SBE and an SP10. I still have my old 870 that I started with though.

11. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    I always go back to the 870

12. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    I shot an 870 for over 30 years... not a bad gun, but my Italian Jam-O-Matic (Benelli SBE II) has never failed me from the lightest dove loads to waterfowl loads. :tounge_out:

It's kinda like goin' from a "3 ON THE TREE" to an automatic... no comparison & no clutch :confused2:

Attached Files:

13. gander

gander New Member

State:
    jerseyville IL
    I have 870 an i love this gun its a 3 1/2 in an its puts them down

14. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    :lol: I tell you why I say that, I've got a cousin who thinks that a duck WILL NOT even did a wing to you with out a $15,000 boat and a $1,500 gun. He's got a SBE 2 and loves it. Well the barrel swelled up on him this year and he had to go through Benelli to get another one. Swelling was caused by cheep steel shot loads that had gotten wet, rusted in the shell, then came out in a big clump. But anyway, when his gun went down in the middle of shooting, we let him have it. :wink:

Quick true story, 4 years ago my brother and sunk a boat in the river in shallow water. I was up to my waste in the heavy current, standing on my 870 for 10 minutes and holding the boat while he chased our gear and brought it back. I finally got to fish it up with my foot and it had sand, gravel, and mussel shells packed in the barrel and all down in the action. I rinsed it out good and dumped all the water out of it I could and down the river we went. and hour later I drop a mallerd with it on the second shot and I really question whether the Benelli or any other high end auto could stand up in those conditions. Maybe they could but youd be hard pressed to find and owner who would try it.

15. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i really love my mossberg 500 ab its agreat gun and i can shoot above averager with it i enjoy clay pigeon shooting with it i shoot them an awful lot and by far that has been my gun of choice. and when it comes time for deer season i just put on my rifled slug barrel and scope and drill a three inch dot at 100 yards all day long

16. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    Supernova for most everything. I still use the 835 ulti mag for throwing heavy loads at turkeys

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Browning Silver Hunter, Buy far the best shooting shotgun I have ever had . It kicks so little it's hard to believe it is a shotgun. I will say that the 870 is hard to beat so it must go down in history I have taken many deer with my 870.
    Over the years I have shot many high end shotguns but none beat my Browning for feel, It feels like it is part of me. I think it's because of how easy it shoots.

18. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    So the problem was your cousins mishandling of bad ammo & not the guns ability to cycle :eek:oooh:

My SBE II is a waterfowl gun... that's what I bought it for, I hunt probabally hunt close to 50 days of a 75 day season, give or take a day or two & not countin' a trip or two to the range & some dove shootin' weekends along the way. My SBE II has been "baptized" many times, subjected to freezin' weather, etc. & has yet failed to cycle. Been there & done that more than once... :roll_eyes:

You need to come hunt "THE SAND & WIND" in West Texas... it'll make that 870 a rock grinder & the Benelli will still be shootin' strong :wink:

Attached Files:

19. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I shoot a Mosberg 935 and luv it. I was a 870 supermag freak but I wanted a semi auto. The gun is fairly light but you can shoot 3 1/2" through it all day long and not go home w\ a sore shoulder. This was my second season w\ it and I came home with lots of ducks in my boat. We had a good year on the river this year.:0a22:

20. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have used 870's for over 40 years and they are hard to beat.