What shells do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by catfishbills, Mar 5, 2007.

1. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, First of all thx to everyone who replied on the previous post! I just thought I would get everyones comments on what shells they put into there guns when it comes to the "moment of truth" I personally have tried alot of different shells, but have recently stuck with the Federal and Remington 3 inch 1 1/4 high velocity #4's for most of all my duck hunting. If I'm hunting timber thats the load and if I'm hunting a field thats the load! I just change my choke tubes! I killed ducks at 50yds this year with it and at 5yds! So for my shooting style this is the load for me (untill I try something else) I may back up my first 2 shells with a 3 1/2inch #2, but more often than not its all 3inch #4's. I like that dense pattern of the 4's and the increased velocity makes them hit hard! Well lets hear what you all use!:big_smile:

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice post. For ducks I use Remington steels in #3's and 4's, for geese I use 1's. 2's and 000 once in a while. I have ordered a case of Heavy shot for the up coming season because the reviews are so good, but they sure cost a lot.

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Kent Fast Steel. As good as any out there and way cheaper then most.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    40mm Bofors,proximity fuze!!!!!:big_smile: Salvaged an old twin 40 mount from a battleship and have it mounted on my duck boat.Cant seem to find 40mm Heavi Shot so I guess I'll just stick to HE.Those high flying geese come down like Zeros on fire.:big_smile: :lol:Actually I favor the 300 Weatherby for high flyers.Don't get many hits but when I do its spectacular with no cripples.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    before they outlawed lead my 'pet load for geese was 1 7/8 oz of copper plated bbs but since then I've had limited success with f and t size shot in 12 ga 3"

6. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    If they were all free I'd shoot Hevi-Shot but seeing they are 3 times what the rest are I usually shoot Winchesters instead. I perfer a 3" #4's for most ducks and 3 1/2 BB for geese.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    # 2 steel shot Remington, Winchester, or Federal. I really don't have a brand preference. Cheap to shoot and kills decoying mallards and geese clean. I don't shoot much past 35 yards. I shoot a benelli with improved cylinder choke about 90 % of the time.