what setup do you use for catfishing

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by nitemare_63, Feb 6, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was just wondering how people set up for catfishing??????? I just normally have a barrel swivel with 6 or so inch leader and for a sinker i have a sinker slide so i can attach a flatbank sinker so it can move up and down the fishing line free

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    carolina rig sometimes with a floater. Long line drifting 18" leader no weight. :smile2:

3. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    not to totally sure what the carolina rig is so can someone post a link of a picture of what one looks like
    thanks

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    sounds like what you are using is a carolina rig, sliding sinker, swivel and leader with hook

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats the same set-up i use with 80# power pro and 40# leader with a 8/0 gama octopus circle hook

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, you are using the carolina rig.
    Those sinker slides are nice. I need to get me some.
    I use the carolina rig, a 3 way rig, and sometimes I just let the sinker slide all the way to the hook.
    Then sometimes I use a slip float. Just depends on where I am at and what I a trying to do.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use a carolina rig, usually a 18-24 in leader. 4-6 circle hook.

8. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when you all use the carolina rig do you guys make it so if the fish takes the bait it can run and the spool run free or do you all have the reel on retrieve so u can see the pole move and set the hook???? i like to set the hook just what i got used to does most people here set the hool or let the fish hook themselves??????

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I tight line with a kahle hook. Sometimes I have to set the hook but most of the time I dont. Just depends on the fish's mood.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    basic carolina rig here hook leader swivel weight

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    With a circle hook, sometimes I let the fish go with it, sometimes I have a little slack and the fish hooks itself. I miss fewer fish that way.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    here's a picture of a carolina rig, 2 different sinker slides one on the rig i like the other that i love, and my go to rig .

Attached Files:

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    This is about what Grandma, bless her soul, started me on about 60 years ago. I find myself going back to it. Weight on the bottom of the line, weight depends on the current, sometimes in the river I like it to stay put, some time I like it to drift. I try until I see what works. Up from the weight about 12" I make about a 6" loup with a double surgeons knot (double granny) and then again up another 12" I make a second loup same thing. I pass the loup through the eye on a middle sized circle hook, depends on the size of the bait, always using the smallest size that will still work. Here in Nebraska we can have 2 poles max 2 hooks each in a lake and then any combo of 15 hooks in a river. I mostly like to mess with only two poles. The extra hooks give me more chances to figure out what they want. I find I have a few more tangles than using other methods, but it about evens out with the snags anyway. In my mind it catches me more fish.
    Luck
    Odtimr

14. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    I DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF HOOK U R USING, A CIRCLE OR KAHL U CAN CLOSE THE BAIL OR TIGHT LINE IT, A J OR OTHER TYPE U CAN FREE SPOOL WITH THE CLICKER ON. AND ALSO WHAT KIND OF RIG U HAVE SET UP. IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO WHAT WORKS FOR U AND WHERE U FISH THE KIND OF FISHING U DO. I MEAN U CAN GET PRETTY IN DEPTH ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. PLUS U CAN DO VICE VERSA ON WHAT I SAID, CAUSE I HAVE BEFORE AND HAVE HOOKED UP BOTH WAYS. ANY HOW JUST MY 2 CENTS. THANKS JUSTIN

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i use the carolina rig also

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I use a 3 way swivel that has a snap for the sinker on one side. The snelled hook gets put on one side of the swivel and my line gets tied to the other.

17. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I pretty much always use a carolina rig. The line and leader weight depend on where Im fishing.