What Rig

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catfish1516, Apr 24, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    If I am fishing a live bluegill, what kind of rig should I put it on

Same with cut bait, what rig

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    A basic carolina rig with an egg sinker above a swivel should work for either one. The length of your leader below the swivel will determine how much room your bait fish has to swim around. Hook him in the lower part of his body near the tail and he'll try to swim up, hook him on the upper part of his body and he'll try to swim down.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    HI catfish1516 welcome aboard You dident say where you were fishing ,in an inpoundment with little or no current or a river with swift to moderate current because it sometimes makes a differance. MrT rig was right on but if your fishing current shorten your leader to between 10 and 12 inches it has helped me. Bigcatman0816.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Andy, I'm a threeway rig man myself. I fish a threeway rig with a two foot dropper for my sinker and six to eight inch for my hook. This rig is especially helpful when using live bait, because when tightlined it will keep those gills a little off of the bottom. If your bait gets under structure it makes it hard for a cat to grab it. It's also just as effective with cut bait. Just my two cents. Vern

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    When we use live bait we sometimes use what I believe is called a paternoster pop up rig. It seems kind of complicated on here but it is actually pretty easy. Just think of a regular carolina rig. But instead of putting a sinker on about the swivel run another swivel. But don't tie this one, have it just ran through the line. This is your leader. Cut this to the length desired (the most successful time i've ever had with this rig was fishing 12 feet off bottom in 40 feet of water) but on this leader run a big enough slip bobber to hold your bait up and then tie a heavy bank sinker (the ones vern parrish made for me work excellent!) once rigged the bobber holds your bait up as fair as your leader and gives your bait fish plenty of room (instead of being anchored to bottom it is anchored off bottom). we have had some success with this rig. I can't find a picture put i'll try to illustrate it on here. H=hook, S=swivel, W=weight, B=bobber

H______________________S____S________________________
    /
    /
    /
    B
    /
    /
    /
    W

wow, i don't think that helps much.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    ok, it didn't work. move all the / things over to the far right swivel

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your rig should be tailored to the structure and manner your fishing. If your bank fishing on a mud/gravel bottom, use a sliding sinker so the fish can run with the bait. If your fishing a bottom with logs, large rocks, you can put the sinker on the bottom and a small cork on a two to three foot leader to keep it off bottom. If fishing from a boat, you can put the sinker on the bottom and fish hooks above the sinker as in a crappie rig. There are many, many ways to present your bait, you just have to match it to the structure your fishing.