What rig for nightcrawlers?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    What rig do y'all use when fishing nightcrawlers for eating-size channel cats? Also, what type and what size hook do you use?

Thanks,
    Adrian.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The Carolina rig for me depending on which rod I'm using with a 3/4 to one ounce egg sinker(sometimes more if current is heavy). A # 1 baitholder or Kahle hook at the business end.

3. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    You should put on 2/0 or 3/0 hook with a weight with a whole or half worm on the hook and your catch some eatin size channel

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    1/0 or 2/0 kayle with carolina rig in currant.catbobber with same hooks in lake.

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I use a size three or four circle hook and put at least two night crawlers on it. The catfish books say to show them a meal whatever you are using for bait and say to use at least two or more night crawlers.

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    well first of all night crawlers go fast and are expensive here in so calif...

i usually take a night crawler and tear it in half, now you have to pieces of bait, i usually use a number 4 baitholder, not 4/0, either a 6 or 4 size is the size i usually use down here to catch 1lb to 10lb cats easy, just wrap that nightcrawler several times so its a big wad, i usually bottom fish with worms with a little dip bait, sometimes with a regular ball bobber hanging 4 to 5 ft from the surface, havent tryed other methods, but this is the easiest for me and it doesnt take time from the pole being in the water

7. sigav8r

sigav8r New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a carolina rig with about a 12-18inch leader. I thread the crawler up a 3/0 hook for mine or a 1-2/0 for the kids poles.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    half a crawler, #4 baitholder and a spinning rig with no weight. i fish cover around the bank and set the hook when the line twitches.

9. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    depending on the situation generally i dont fish for channles but when i get bored i will ill run a slip foat with a weigh 1-3 oz and 2 circle hooks sometimes only 1 but generally 2 i dont use worms to often except to catch bait this is how i did it when i was a kid an just wanted to catch fish the depth u fish this method is trial an error start off at a depth then go deeper or shallower til u find the depth where the fish are i like doing this in light current floating over rock below the dams have cought some good flats running whole perch the same way cept only diff is i dont use a weight when running live baits be it skippies shad perch or what not hope this helps