What rifle and load, do you use?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Nugget, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    G'day all,
    this is my first post on the website. And seeing as I know more about rifles than I do catfish, I thought this would be a better start of point.
    I've got a few questions today, about the rifle and load you use for deer hunting.

--Questions--

1). Rifle?
    What type of rifle do you prefer for deer shooting. Some people go the small and fast such as your 5.56x45mm's and some go the bigger mildly slower 7.62x51mm's. What rifle do you use and why?

2). Factory Loads or Your Own?
    Now, you either make your own loads to suit your rifle, or you buy factory ammo. If you prefer factory ammo, what is it and what are the statistics or your rifles load? But if you reload them yourself, what's your setup and what are the statistics of your load... if you do know them.

3). Winchesters Supreme Elite XP3's
    I've recently bought a packet of these rounds, and I'm dieing to try them out. They're supposed to be top of the Winchester range and out class everything. They're only for a few rifles and only come in 150gr, 160gr and 180gr in the following rifles. 30-06, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 308 Win/ 7.62x51mm, 7mm Rem Mag, 7 mm WSM, 270 Win and 270 WSM.
    These expensive little guys have a two stage expansion for maximum damage. Here is the link if you don't know much about the new Winchester load, http://winchester.com/products/newitems/XP3product.aspx.
    Have you tried this round? what calibre rifle was it in and what results did you get from it?

Thanks for your time.

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    1. For me is the .270. It has the best bullet coeffenice of them to me. I like the flat treject of the .130gr bullet. I like the way it takes a deer.

2. I load my own. I use H4831 __grs, I use a 130 searra PTSP, no boat tail, and use Fed cases as they are heavier than any other case I have weighed. I use CCI LR primers. That is just for my deer hunting. I load for all my other rounds.

Now if I read where your from right, you are from the land down under? I did not think you could have weapons there?

3. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    270 is a good rifle, my grandpa swears by it. Yeah, you can have rifles down here, they're are just very strict about it. I don't actually own my 7.62x51, it was given to me by my dad, my grandpa put it in his name for me.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    welcome Nugget
    I load for a 264 win mag, 140gr nosier partition,It is a good rifle for deer and elk.

5. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    My mums boyfriend has one of them, he uses it for the Australian Camels and Donkeys. I don't know what load he uses for it, its a nice light weight rifle that you can carry through the hills while going for goats. Not much recoil to it, wich is nice. I like it. Its very handy.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hunt and reload my 30/06. Will have to dig out all my reloading stuff, its about that time anyway, deer season is close.:big_smile:

7. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    None of my family owns one of them. I'm probbably thinking of another rifle, but. Isn't it the 30/ 06's 100th birthday, I can't think of the word at the moment. So I'll just stick with birthday lol.

8. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I have a lot of different rifles but my most favorite one for deer has become my 6.5 swedish mauser. I purchased one of the old mausers and put it in a Richardson stock. The stock was a blank so I worked it down to fit me. I shoot well with it. Have killed lots of deer with it up to 250 yards. I do not think it is very good over 300 yards with the 140 gr. I like to make clean kills, can't stand to wound an animal. It shoots factory as well as it shoots hand loads. I shoot 95% hand loads but I tried factory ammo in it and it is all very accurate, surprisingly accurate! I am a believer that accuracy kills not how big and fast it is.
    Good shooting
    Jake

9. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    My 308 is a 93 model Mauser. Don't know the name of the stock it has been put into now. Its a good rifle, but as you said "I do not think it is very good over 300 yards" the 308 is probbably alright up to 425 yards with 150gr projectile. It would loose alot of power and trajectory but it'd do the job.
    Yeah, deer make a weird noise if you pull a bad shot. Only making that mistake once. Accuracy is the trick, you can shoot a deer with a 375 H&H Magnum and not kill it but than you could walk up to one and shoot it with a 204 Ruger and it would put it down, accuracy is everything.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got several deer rifles as well, but when I'm ready to go do some serious hunting I always reach for my 7 Mag. It's a remington 700 with a 50mm Leupold scope on it. I shoot 139gr. Hornady btsp bullets through it. I don't handload, no need for it with this rifle, it shoots the hornady 139, the 140gr winchester supreme ballistic silvertips, and the Federal premium 160gr. nosler partitions all well under an inch at 100 yrds. I love the 7 Mag, it's been my favorite gun since I bought it. I have an '06, a .243 and a 6mm as well but the 7 goes hunting with me 10X as much as the other guns.

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well stated. I believe the same thing. It dose not matter how big and bad the cal., if you can't hit the side of a barn with it, you might just as well use a sling shot. I want to shoot a 3 shoot group of 1moa or less to hunt with. I have some of my special rifles that will do .750 moa at 100.

12. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    The 243 is a nice very fast and light rifle, takes deer down with ease. Why don't you take that out as often? just personal choice I guess.

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nugget try a 168gr bullet in your .308. It is good out to 400+. I have used this bullet to shoot targets at 400yards quit a few times.

14. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    I'd love to, but its old. Can't put to much powder in the casings to give the projectile that little extra "Ooomph". Blow the bolt strait out into my shoulder.

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nugget, you do know the bigger the bullet the less powder you use ha? Most people don't know that fact or take time to look at it, but the bigger the bullet the less powder it take to move it as far and fast. It is the law of physics. A object in motion tends to stay in motion. The bigger the object the easier it is to keep in motion. Read your loading data and you will see what I am talking about.
    PS, I am not trying to be smarta$$ here either, just trying to be helpful.

16. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i got me a savage 30-06 that i love......unfortunately i dont know a thing about reloading so i buy remmington core-lokt 150grain shells....they work for me........welcome to the boc....wow....Austrailia is like.....REALLY far away lol

17. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Na, Austrailia is right down there be low us in Louisiana. LOL. They are just across the eqator from us. :lol:

18. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    Nah mate, you're not being a smart @r$e at all, I'm here to learn.

19. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    Hehe yup, thats why they call Australia "Down Under". :lol:

20. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i didnt mean any insult i was just saying i think you're the furthest member from the rest of us.....do you hunt?....what kind of cats do ya'll got?