What reels shouldn't I consider purchasing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dreamcatcher, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

We always start threads about the reels that are considered good for different catfishing situations, so I thought I would get everyone's opinion on reels that are supposedly designed for catfishing that you don't like. Give us a practical reason why you wouldn't fish with it even if I gave one to you. It is my belief that most of the manufacturers make good reels, so there aren't too many bad ones out there. However, I am sure there are a few that slip through the cracks. In an attempt to save the novice (or experienced) fisherman some hard earned cash give us your list of reels that you feel are real clunkers. Don't just say blanket a manufacturer, unless you feel all their products are substandard (which is hardly the case). Give us a model number or reel type...

2. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i will not buy another penn 109 (aka KNUCKLEBUSTER) because if one tries to cast the spinning handles will tear up the hand! they are for trolling only.

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Wouldnt ever buy a Penn Mag525. Expensive and clicker buttom takes something other than finger to work-pain in the...Too small a spool too.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You pay for what you get...if all you can afford is a mickey mouse reel, then that is a good reel. As time passes and you get better jobs, you can retire the mickey mouse reels and get better ones...but, there really is not a bad reel, just expensive ones. LOL

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i know most will not agree with me but i will never buy a tidewater30lb i had 2 and they both broke on me wile casting.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    someone in another post said something about the abu 7000 sold at wally world was built cheap compared to the c3 7000. dunno, but ill prolly stay away from em.

7. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bought 2 tidewaters this spring....The drag is messed up on both of em already...You have no drag till you tighten it as hard as you can, then they are locked up...I may have got a bad batch, but I like the Penns I have now...

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any spincasting reel.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pflueger model 66 baitcaster, It has a baitclicker.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would stay away from any spincaster, and dawia reels. I bad experiveing with them.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if you would take the time to revisit that thread you will find that all 7000's are maid in the same place packaged in other but all are qc'd in switzerland and all are good quality reels i dont work for abu but would they sell nothing but the best imo .

as for vics question at hand dont buy any reel unless you use it for its sole purpose , for instance dont use a 33 for catfish less it says it is for that type fish

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    that doesnt change the fact that there is a 7000 and a 7000c3. one is made cheaper than the other thus its sold at wally world. not sayin the 7000 is a bad reel, but I think if im in the market for one and the 7000 is cheaper made, id certainly pay a lil more for the better reel. and as far as yer question "would they(abu) sell nothing but the best imo"... hmmm, they made the 5000A didnt they?

13. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i would stay away from alot of the spincasters some are really sorry reels. personaly i fish abus from the 5000 5500 6500 i never owned any thing bigger than a 6500 coarse i dont use reels for flatheads i like to catch them on trotlines good luck.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sorry I didn't read you question correctively. Pflueger = good

15. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I personaly will not buy a Abu Garcia reel(except the Record). They just feel cheap to me,and the fit and finish leaves alot to be desired.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Vic, there are two reels on the market that I am not crazy about. One is the Shakespeare tidewater, it is difficult to cast and is not very durable. The other, another shakespeare product, the tiger spinning combos. I had one that jsut completely "froze" up. My friend, Dave a.k.a. Skipjack had one that the bail pulled off of while he was using it. At one time shakespeare had a large metal frame, metal gear spinning reel that was sold for around $20 a piece. I would like to have a dozen of these. Vern

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

The only reel that I have owned so far where I feel I made a total blunder in the purchase was the Abu Garcia 7000B. This is the emerald colored one with bushings. I have spoken to others about the reel and they like theirs, but I feel Abu Garcia could have at least added some bearings on a reel at that price point. I got sucked in to the color and look of the reel without looking at the specs. It was the first time that I purchased a round baitcaster along with an Abu 6000 that I still own. My issue is the reel should be a little more refined. After the fact, I found out that I could have owned a C3 for only 10 dollars more (hint to would be Abu owners). I don't have an issue with the 6000, because I use it for channel cats only.

In a general sense, I won't spend money on star drag reels at this price anymore unless they are Penns (310, 320). They feel very solid to me, even though they don't cast as well as the Abus in that range.

At present, I see myself transitioning away from levelwind/star drag reels for catfishing altogether in favor of non levelwind/lever drag versions. I personally like moving the lever up as opposed to spinning the star. I used to think they had a detrimental effect on casting, but I was wrong in that assessment. I have two that will cast a country mile providing that you have an educated thumb. The downside to these reels is they are generally more expensive across the spectrum.

In addition, I see myself investing in a couple of nice spinning combos that feature surf style rods with some type of premium baitrunner reel. Anybody own a Thunnus? I won't purchase a spinning reel that doesn't have a baitrunner feature, because I like the line out alarms on baitcasters.

I don't fish with spincasters even though they would work well for the fish most people catch here, including me. My only concern would be that as soon as I purchase one of them I would get a fish to bite that should have bit one of my stronger reels. I know the world record flathead was caught with a pencil sharpener (Zebco 33), but I will take my chances with the other two choice of reels.:smile2:

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Victor.As a lifelong mechanic and fisherman,I think the 7000 would be a great reel for surf fishing or fishing off of the bank.Ball bearings make for easier and farther casting.Bushing bearings are sturdier and will withstand contamination from grit such as sand and most other types of abuse better.All of the "old"reels around are bushing bearings.Each type has it's advantages and disadvantages.The bushings are proven.The ball bearings are not for the same time span.Even the finest sealed bearings have seals that wear and seem to deteriorate with time.I believe that you have the right reel for the right use.It may not be the right reel for your use.Have you considered the level wind lever drags from Penn and Shimano?I think that the Charter Special 2000 LD with Stainless Steel gears and ball bearings is a great reel for the price.I picked it out over the ABU 7000-10000's and the Penn 320 LD GTI at BP.I also love the Okuma Coronado CD 90 Bait feeder with it's ss gears,holds a massive amount of line and is a sealed reel to keep the gunk out.peewee-williams

19. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

This is a good post Peewee. Yes, I have considered the Charter Specials from Shimano as they are outstanding lever drag offerings for the price as you said, and I own the 320LD which I think is a tank. LOL. The only issue with it is it's not the smoothest of casting reels, but it's not designed for that purpose. I am looking at the Okuma products too...thanks for the info.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Have you tried your 320 LD in freezing weather?If so,how does it do?I figure you are in the right area to know if you winter fish.I have found some normally good reels useless or almost so in freezing weather.I have a penn 345 GTI to use and I was wondering.Thanks.peewee-williams