What Reels Really Hold

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmandeux, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't know how manufacturers derive their numbers, but they're wildly optimistic, in any case.

Tell us what your reel(s) hold.

Daiwa Exceler 4000, advertised 260 yards of 12# test.:roll_eyes:

Actual: 150 yards of 60# Spidewire (12# dia), but it's really overfilled.
    150 yards of 30# Power Pro (8# dia) is a nice comfortable fit, with a little room to spare.
    40# PP would be just about right.

A great mid-sized spinner, btw.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It don't really make a difference to me, long as it will get in the water. I just don't think that by knowing how much line you have on your reel, your gonna catch more fish or a bigger fish. To me they are just guides to let me know how much line I need to purchase for that reel. And if it is off, heck, nothing is perfect.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's interesting.

I wouldn't have thought there wuold be that big of a difference. The Amb 4600 and the Shimano Baitrunners I bought last year all took up pretty close to what they said. Maybe 10 yards off, but that can be attributed to line inconsistencies.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Lawrence, it hurts my feelings to pay a premium for braid, and then throw away part of it, cause it won't all fit my reel. I'm cheap.:lol:

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    then why didnt u keep it for some other use?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dave. I am sorry if my post was offensive to you. Wasn't meant that way. I'm one of the guys who thinks mono is good enough. My heaviest line is 20lb mono and at times I have a devil of a time breaking it off, so when someone uses a braid thats tested for 60 or 80 pounds, and has the diameter of 12 lb test line, I wonder how in the devil can they break that line off. Thats why I don't like braid... it is just too darn good.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    No, no, not at all!

I use braid because it floats, and stays out of all the mischief that mono gets into.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, thats one of the reasons i dont like braid IT FLOATS! line is not suppose to do that

9. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Ive never really checked mine. But if your hold over a hundred yards lees than specified then you need to call the manufacture and tell them they need to upgrade your reel to the one that actually has that line capacity or you can see them in small claims court for false advertising and fraud.
    As for braided line, Ive had nothing but bad experiences. Ife had it know up with only an hour of fishing at lease 3-4 times. In salt water once I tried switching from 17# mono to like 25# power pro and I seemed to break off more with the braid. I spent alot of $$$ on braid and it all went in the trash. I dont think I ever got to use it more than 2 days without problems. Where as with the mono I never had any trouble.

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i bought 2 rolls of 50#spiderwire stealth a while bakk.and it was the worst line i have ever had on a reel.it broke off TWICE just on the cast.i checked the rod and the reel and there was nothing that could of broke it off. btw-i was onley using 1 1/2 ounces of weight.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well I try to spool with the line that the reel is rated to hold.

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    All my reels hold the same amount of line no matter what size test I use,they all hold a spool full.

13. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    certian reels are designed to hold braided line and some just for mono that is probably were your inconsisity came from

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Both braid and mono have there advantages as well as there disadvantages but as long as they both are the same diameter then it should take equal amounts of either to fill the reel and the reel should hold whatever amount the manufacturer says it will. If there is a discrepancy then the manufacturer should be notified.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im so cheap i wont buy that high dollar braid just cause its that high