What reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Big Ben, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    Penn 209, Okuma catalina, ambassedeur 9000
    I have been debating on which reels to purchase. I use tidewaters right now and while they are ok I don't think there is much comparison between them and the other reels I stated earlier. any help is appreciated

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ben,
    In my opinion of the reels you mentioned, id have to go with the penn 209 or the garcia. However I think the 9000 is kind of overkill if you are only freshwater fishing. Ive briefly used a penn 209 and I liked it real well. The only thing about it I dont like is the gear ratio, geared to high in my opinion. Ive never used the garcia 9000. Also would like to add, dont overlook the garcia 6000 reels. These reels are awesome for what they cost. I have four of the 6000's and have never had a problem with them, and have landed some nice catfish over 30 pounds. You should check out the catfish connection website for prices due to they are cheaper than most places. Ill post the website for you. rspd507

www...................com

3. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    just out of curiousity what size fish are you targeting? anything less then 80 lbs will come in without any fight at all with any of those reels. I have 6500's and have caught several fish over 50 lbs with no trouble at all. Plus you can get 2 6500s for that kind of money.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6000 or 6500 they are good reels for the money, and thats all you need for freshwater fishing.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one word after 17 yrs. of flathead fishing GARCIA!!! spend your money wisely, they last a lifetime !!! rollo

6. Walsvault

Walsvault New Member

State:
    Virginia
    PENN 209 or ABU 6000

7. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I have only 1 word for you. PENN!!!

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you decide on Abu, you wouldn't need more than the 7000 unless you plan on saltwater fishing. They have plenty of power, besides they go for $150 or less. That is cheaper than what a 9000 would cost. I also have several 6000's and am happy with the performance they provide. I have reeled in many large branches, tree trunks, chunks of driftwood, and a few nice flattys.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    One word Shimano!! The best real manufacturer there is!

10. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have 3 penn 220s & 3 penn 320s both will handle anything, plus if you shop on ebay, you can find these reels new for 60- 80 bucks. each. they hold a lot of line and have been trouble free for me

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    theirs a site that has the a 9000 for $69:wink:

12. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    first off thanks for the input to try and answer some of the questions I mainly fish the Mississippi below St louis the reason I was thinking of the 9000 is because I don't know how the 6000's would hold up to slinging 8 to 10 oz of weight out. another question is the ease of casting the penns again thanks to all and anymore info would be greatly appreciated

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well im sure some are getting tired of me saying it but the pflueger contender g30 is the size of a 209 for about the same price 59.99 and will not only hold up to 8-10oz + but it will hold up over 10, by that i mean when you ajust the cast controll were the weight slowly falls, the contender will STOP well over 10oz. not alot of reels will do this.the cast controll and the drag is super smooth and super strong, and a bonus the handel is ajustable. i recently got a g30l witch is a ld and is bigger than the g30. and the ld has carbon fiber drag nice i think the drag material in the sd reels are the sooooothie material.

14. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    I have decided to go with the Penn 209 Thanks to everyone for their input
    By the way catfish connection has the best deals on those reels

15. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    An outstanding choice. Mine is on it's way from Ebay but any Penn I have used has been a great reel. My dad swore by the Penn baitcasters and the Mitchell 300...

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had several Penn reels...209, 310gti, 320gt2...They were great strong reels that could reel in a bus...With that being said, I could not cast them near as well as a abu 6500 or 7000, so I fish with abu's now.

17. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Rollos got it right Abu is the way to go.

18. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad to hear that, seeing as how I ordered four 209's from cc the other day!!!:embarassed:

19. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    Ben, I'm new to the site but not new to fishing. I think the Penn 309 is the best for me.It holds a little more line and still have no trouble casting it with big baits. Penn 309 absolutly

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I"ve been throwing Abu 7000s for years and bought one of the $69.00 9000s last year and was really surprised. It didn't hold alot more line than the 7000, but WOW would it cast! It was casting better out of the box than most of my 7000s broke in. I got it for snagging spoonbill as it's a beefy and tough reel. I had a Penn I used for snagging and found that the 9000s internals were beefier. Put that together with a reel that throws as good or better than a smaller one, and you can't go wrong!