What reel would you have....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Phil Washburn, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    if money was no object?

i think i would like to try a van staal:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I stick with what works best for me and thats Abu Garcia.. All makes and models.. though i do like a few of those Penn's

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would pick any of the upper end ABU'S...Perhaps a 6500 chrome rocket.

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My favorite reels are the Quantum Cabo and Quantum Big Iron reels. I have three of each and wouldn't trade them for any other reel. Some of the upper end Shimano reels look pretty nice though.

Phil, that Van Stall looks like something you'd see on the Sci-Fi channel, LOL, pretty trick looking reels and WOW! what a price tag!

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Phil - I see those Van Staals in the catalogs and always wondered what it would be like to try one. Those spinning models go for like $700. Need them lottery numbers to come through! :roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: :wink: If money were no object I think I would just buy myself a new pontoon and outfit it with about a dozen rods from Catfish Safari with new Abu 7000ics Pro Rockets and Abu 7000c3i reels. :cool2:

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive always thought avet reels looked pretty and they had different colors i would like to try them out but the price of them like everything else has gone up the cheepest used to be close to $150 2-3 years ago now they start at 199.99 whens it all gonna stop were all gonna have to win the lotto before long just to get by:embarassed:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a poser real. Ill stick with Okumas.:wink:

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Phil diden't You just buy a Shimano Stella on E-bay? You Better stay off there or You will be in the dog house with Momma. LOL.
    J.D.:big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No question,Abu Big game 9000 or more 7000

11. ilovemyfish

ilovemyfish New Member

State:
    california
    i too also like the abus although im new to baitcasters iv found myself fishing with my new abu more then my spinning

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I like the Upper end Penns, the Penn Senator is a good reel.
    I like my Abu's the most though.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    For a full outfit (not just a reel like you asked, but twhat the heck)
    I think a Shimano Trinidad or a Penn Torque on one of the new lightweight/high strength saltwater jig rods would be a kick a$$ combo. They would run about $800 to $1000 per combo. I'm thinking about getting a matched set of 6 combos. They would look sweet all lined up in the rod holders on my jon boat!

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i guess id stick with my penns and abus to but if you think reels are high now wait till catfishing tourn.get as big as b.a.s.s.

15. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Looks awfully fancy! Almost too pretty to use. I think I would stick with my Pfluegers though.

J

16. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If money were no object I would love have a Penn Torque 300.

17. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have used Abu Garcias (6500) for over 45 years and Quantum Irons (410) for about 6 years. Both are good reels for no major current fishing, but my go to reels are my Quantum Irons. I do all my drift fishing with the Irons and they hold up to a lot of use and abuse. They have an excellent drag system and are easy to maintain. Only fault I have with the Irons are the clickers, I can barely hear then. But, in drift fishing I have everything locked down, no clicker necessary. I just watch the rod load up !

When I anchor down I use my Abu's, mainly due to the loud clicker system and dependablilty of the reel itself.

Also, I have several Shimano's, which I find difficult to cast without a professional overrun (back lash to most fishermen). But, if you want to bring a hog in, these reels will hold up and they do have a very good drag system.

I had some Tidewater reels which were given to me, but they were bulky and difficult to cast for any distance. I gave those to another guide because with his technique, he did not have to cast them very far.

18. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
  19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan

I would like to try a Zeebass myself. Just to let you know the VanStaals aren't as smooth as that Stella you have. ( we never forget lol). Think Ford Truck versus Lexus. They are however built like tanks and can be dunked in saltwater and still survive. These reels are mainly used by surfcasters though who will be getting splashed by waves.

http://www.all-americanoutdoors.com/inc/sdetail/1226

20. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I would have to go with the old Penn squidder 140's , just a awesome reel!