What reel to get with new 7' CatMaxx rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ack, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was in Missouri at the Bass Pro catalog outlet store the other day and got a great deal on a 7' CatMaxx Med-heavy casting rod. They're selling them for $20, even the 8 and 9 footers, but I couldn't find any spinning rods, only casting.

My question is what reel should I buy to go with it? I haven't had any luck trying to learn to cast baitcasters. I always tangle them up. It's not a spinning rod, so I guess my only choice is a closed spincast. I want to use the rod and reel to cast really car out into lakes and rivers, and hopefully pull in some really big cats.

Any recommendations for which reel to get? How about what kind of line and what strength?

Thanks!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The bait castin reels are the route to go. Its all in the brake adjustment and the thumb. YOU CAN DO IT! Practice in the yard or on a field, You will get it I promise ya. Just make sure ya got the brake adjusted for the weight ya are castin.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    If you want to cast far and haul in big fish you either need a baitcasting reel or a spinning reel. Spincaster reels don't hold enough heavy line nor do they have the drag capabilities of the others. My personal preference is the baitcaster. Lots of capacity and the best drags of all the reels. Abu 7000 would be a good choice. If you are going to cast long and do it a lot then maybe go with a 7000 iC3. There are others but the 7000 series has stood the test of time and keep on working.

4. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    Abu 7000s are nice but I think the 6500s are easier to cast, at least for a beginner. I have a 7000i, a 6500C3, and an older 6500 and all cast fairly well. The C3 series is a nice smooth reel for the money. Remember, when you are practicing, start with a tight brake and gradually loosen it up as you get the feel for the spool rotation. I agree with the others, conventionals are the way to go. Good luck.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I like the Shakespheare Tidewater. Good baitcaster to learn on and it is affordable!! Less than 40$ in most places. I got 8 of them!

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    John,

I think I would go with the tidewater reel , spool it with big game 25 or 30 lb test . Now I would put me a three oz. weight on and adjust the brake. To adjust the brake release the weight with your thumb on it and see how it falls, if it falls fast tighten your brake up . Do this until it goes down slowly and now go out side and try it . you can always tighten up on it until u get use to it

Hope this helps and good luck

7. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    okuma 202l or 302l catfish connection bout 30.00 spool up with berkley big game 30lb test mono and you are good to go

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Honestly, I have used bass fishing baitcasters before, in my opinion they stink, backlash heaven. That is when I decided to go to an open bail type reel for all fishing, then I decided to try the baitcasters for catfishing, and I can say that I wouldnt ever give them up for anything. You can get a really good deal on them at your local walmart, you can buy the Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs, the 5600 dont have the bait clicker for 59.96, the 6600 bcx does have the bait clicker for 59.96, these things are amazing. You can even get those combos with the matching rod for 73.96. The Shakespeare Tide-"water/runner" looks like a nice reel, it does have a bait clicker as well, and it is priced right, my only scare on it was the button, it was more like a "rolling level" up on the top side of the reel instead of a thumb bar. they was $39.96 reel only.

You can get some real good deals on reels, just gotta shop around. Gas prices shouldnt affect you much, shop online at their website. I did before I went.

Now if you want to go high end, a couple other members can give you more info. I did ask around, but dove in head first. For Example, I bought a Okuma Red Isis baitcaster for catfishing. it was a 179 dollar reel, I online shopped and got it for 126.49 and man, it is a bad son of a gun!. I am stoked, I might try it out this weekend even!

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Hey, I got the same deal going on down here at the Macon bass pro shop. It's hard to pass up, most of all my rods are catmaxx. The garcia 7000 on a catmaxx make a great set-up, or for a lil less I would go with a penn 310.....can't go wrong either way. I have both set-ups and they both do really well....

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Learn the baitcasters. What I did,and still do with every new reel,is this. Spend $10 on cheap line. I use the zebco omniflex from wal mart. $10 will buy 3 rolls. Spool it up and add a weight,I use a 2-6 oz. no roll or egg. Adjust it and go outside in an open area. Try short casts first. Then try longer,and longer. When you backlash it,try to get it out. If you can't,cut it off the reel. that line is cheap enough to waste like that. Once you're confident,spool on some berkley big game ang go fishing. As for reels,I like the shakespeare tidewaters. they are cheap,and so far haven't had any problems. And remember,everyone backlashes their reels. No matter how long you do it,it still happens.

11. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and go with a baitcaster, especially if like ThaWstSide said they're more forgiving than the bass fishing baitcasters. Man, I tangle those suckers up almost every cast.

I've written down all of the reels you've suggested. I'll make a trip to Bass Pro and check them all out. Thanks a lot!

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i would go get myself a decent baitcaster put 30lb line on it your set hey you gotta learn sometime

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get a Abu Garcia 6500C3 they are one of the best cat reels around.

14. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    I HAVE BEEN USING SPINNING REELS ALL OF MY LIFE. I RECENTLY DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND GET A BAITCASTER AND BOUGHT AN ABU GARCIA 6501 (LEFT HANDED MODEL 6500) AND I LOVE IT!!!!
    IT IS VERY SMOOTH, HIGH QUALITY, I HAVE NOT BACKLASHED YET. MAKE SURE YOU SET YOUR BREAK CORRECTLY WITH THE WEIGHT ON THE LINE ON YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!