What reel do you use. Other than......

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatSlayer715, Sep 29, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Other than Penn's and Abu's, what kind of bait casting reel do yall use? Ive got an array of reels, and i was wondering what yall use. I know the majority of yall use Penn's and Abu garcias, but other than that is what im after.

2. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use Shimano Calcutta 400B's. They cast a mile, variable braking system and the drag is silky smooth. Just my preference.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    for big fish, i havent found any reels that are affordable and tough like the ABU's. i have one Penn, so im not a good person to critique them especially sense the one i have is set up for trolling or down riggin not casting. as for other reels i have, i have diawa, and quantum. they are good reels, but they are smaller, and primarily used for bass fishing (opps i let my secrete out :eek:oooh:) and the like. i figure if it isn't broke dont fix it and i think thats why so many of us use the ABU's and Penn's, because they are proven and affordable.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont use other reels than abu garcia baitcasters.

I have used shakespere baitcasters. did not like them/

I have used Okuma baitcasters, did not like them

I have used Penn baitcasters, I liked them but could not get the casting distance I needed.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    As of current , I'm using a Shakespeare SKP2000C baitcaster. It is my first of its kind , and based upon my experiences with it so far , it will be the first of many. I would also like to try the Abu's , Okuma's , and those with depth counters.
    The only issue I've noticed lately is the tendency of the line to travel about 10 - 15 feet out and stop coming from the spool. It may be due to the fact I use braid. One thing I can try is something to lubricate the line to remedy this malady. Aside from that , everything's fine.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Quantum bait cast reel(s)

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Pflueger contender G30 id like to get a pflueger trion 66 some day. they are around the same price and quality as abu and penn but dont seem very popular. i think ive seen about as many pflueger commertials as ugly sticks, a few penn and very few abus. id think with all the commercials we'd all be using pflueger reels on shakespeare ugly stiks:confused2::tounge_out: a G30 on a 8'bwb is one big kat killing combo:wink:

8. newarkcatman

newarkcatman New Member

State:
    lickin,hanover
    I like my daiwa millionaire classic 300 good reel for the money.

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I have or have had a good number of reels down through the years and most times they serve. I was at one time a huge fan of the Diawa reels be it whatever style. But they lost me when they went from the Pl baitcasters to the magforce. I have yet to try one of their baitcast reels in the class of a 6500 but I still have a Pl 1000 and its a blast to catch a 15-20 lb fish on.

I have a Shakespeare Tidewater that for the money is hard to beat. And I have brought car hood sized rays to the pier and a shark to the boat with it that your not likely to match in fresh water. They are not close to the smoothness of the Abu's and such but the work and work well.

I do own a few Abu reels and they are fine and have done the job for me well for a lot of years. I see people talking about them and the Pen reels ( The only Pen I have ever owned is a trolling reel with leaded line on it for deep Walleye ) But for me, In all I have used nothing comes close to the quality of a Shimano. I own only one and I paid dearly for it but it has shown over and over that it is the best of the best.

Others may think different and I respect their input. Another good reel if they could just get a good dealer network up and running in the USA is D.A.M Quick. I had one and really liked it but it went to the apeyard over a lost part that I never could replace.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have both the Shimano Calcutta 400B and 400VSB.

They are the Cadillac Escalades of fishing reels!:cool2:

11. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    yea, and about the same price to boot. they are def. nice reels but a little too pricey for my blood. The military don't pay enough for me to spend that much money on a reel. But good for you for having them!

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I have a shakespeare tidewater, and a shimano. love em both and have caught big fish on them both with no problems. the drag on the tidewater is a little jumpy but it still get's the job dun

13. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mostly ABU's but my favorite is a shimano curado (i caught it on close out when they came out with the new model). silky smooth drag, good distance, few back lashes. It is the only one I keep in a reel cover and threaten my children over. I also have used a pinnacle but it self destructed on pitiful little bass.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Well, I can be a cheap sob, so I run alot of older equipment. Some of the new reels are pretty nice,but to me they are not as nice as some of the older reels that I can get cheap. I do not sacrifice quality! I have old Penns,garcia mitchells,and some other brands,but all are old school with no plastic parts,and built like a swiss watch. I am using two for catfish now,a penn peerlees #9 with 200 yards of 50 lb braid that will pull stumps,and a Garcia Mitchell 624 with 400 yards of 40 lb floro. that will get the job done! I would put these old timers up against any of the new reels of comparable size and not feel undergunned in the least,I have yet to handle any newer reels that are as smooth as these old ones. I've bought them over the years at yard sales and flea markets,they may be old but they are hard to beat!

15. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Tica Pisces and an old Daiwa Magforce for lighter duty work.

16. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Currently, I only have Abu's (for conventionals), but I would love to get myself a Daiwa Saltist or even Saltiga. I have fished with a guy a couple times that has a few of the saltists. They are darn nice reels.

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I mostly use Abu Garcia 7000, 6500,

But, I've always enjoyed Daiwa tackle, spinners, baitcasters(Millionaire 300), and some of their rods,, seem to be great stuff..

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I was an Abu guy forever.Recently switched to Daiwa Saltists in the 30 and 40 sizes.Mine are non-levelwind,but they recently came out with the same models in levelwind versions too.They outcast my Abus,built a lot heavier,and they got a smooth drag that I can set a lot tighter and the drags a lot smoother.Started with one this year,now all my flattin rods are wearing one.:wink:.

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Daiwa Millionaire

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    quantum cabo PTs cbc 20s and 30s