WHAT REALLY AGITATES ME ABOUT SOME PEOPLE HUNTIN

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I dont understand why some people are so irresponsible to try and hunt when they havent learned how to shoot a bow or a gun for that matter. It is understandable that every hunter in their tenure will make a bad shot. but for me a lot of people go out and pick their bow up for the first time on their way to the truck to go hunting on opening day. i have found and humanly put down several deer over the last year that have been maimed or wounded in a way that cause gangrene to set in or left them suffering. like i said, eventually and inevitably everyone that hunts a lot will have something happen in the course of a hunt that will cause them to miss or not be as accurate as possible. whether that be a small limb that you glance with your arrow or faulty fletching or what have you. however for people to not take the time to shoot their weapon and learn what their true limitations are is unacceptable to me and i have seen way to much of it in my area over the last few years for it to all be from uncontrollable circumstances.

if you are going to be a bow hunter or any kind of hunter for that matter, take the time to learn the skill set required and your limitations to be not only a great hunter but a more ethical and humane hunter. i am a big advocate of hunting, im just tired of the people that just shoot and maim deer due to lack of practice or lack of tracking knowledge. best of luck to you all kill a big one.

2. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Over the years I have hunted I seen a lot of things. There is one that stick out that I will never forget. I was sitting in a stand and had a few does came out, I noticed one staying back in the thick stuff, about 15 minutes or so she came out. I saw her limping just not walking right, she was missing half of one of her front legs. I went ahead and took her, when I got to her a started looking at her her leg had been shoot off. I agree people need to practice at targets not animals. Good post!

3. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    you did the right thing by taking her thats for sure....

good thread....Jeremy what did you see that sparked this???

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest i was thinking back on last deer season with a friend of mine on the phone. we were talking about a deer he found that was just laying when he walked up on it and he shot her, she had infection and what not in her hind quarters and the meat was ruined from a bad shot. so we started talking and i was telling him about an almost identical story that i had except the one i found i road up on while going to my evening stand. the other i was talking to him about i found when i was riding in through a field and i heard a deer squalling something terrible. when i headed across the field i saw two dogs and a deer that they were eating alive. i shot and killed one of the dogs and when getting closer to the deer i killed it also. upon closer inspection the deer had been wounded and paralyzed. literally it was being eaten alive. had the person learned to shoot better or ethics that deer wouldn't have suffered. that whole conversation sparked this thread.

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I killed one when I was duck hunting one time that was skin and bones. I checked her over and there was a broadhead lodged in her pelvis and heavily infected. I have never been able to get that sight out of my mind. So sad.

6. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    here I go again....nature is a cruel b!tch in any form she takes...

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that is exactly what im talking about, it is uncalled for....

8. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I ran across a one antlered forked horn that had a front shoulder blown off. After I put it down I grabbed it by the one horn and it fell out of it's head which I attributed from being close to death from the badly infected shoulder. Upon closer inspection I saw where the hunter tried to shoot the deer straight on and blew the meat completely off of the shoulder without the bullet making it into the chest.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post Jeremy and I agree with you 100%. We have a lot of newer hunters here with bow and black powder who haven't taken the time to shoot their weapons before the season opens.
    On the other side if you take out a deer that has been wounded as you talk about and notify the game warden you can be issued a replacement tag.
    Thanks for the post!!

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeremy, at one time there was an excellent starter course for those wishing to know how to properly handle a weapon. Trained a lot of eventual hunters in the methods and machinations of using gunpowder and lead.

It was called the ARMY or better yet the Marines, sailors don't count and fly boys just drink like most deer hunters now do.

I agree entirely with you Jeremy. The sad part of it is many of these guys are party hunters. Imagine going out with some of these dufusses when they got a gun or bow in their hand. A gut shot deer is one thing, a gut shot human is another.

That's why I don't go with anybody but myself, me and I. And I keep my head down at all times.

11. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    3 years ago I had a small buck come by me that had an arrow sticking straight up out of his back, someone had shot straight down on him, how it missed his spine I don't know. I killed him out of mercy, talked to the DNR about a replacement tag, no go. I don't like doing that because in Indiana we are allowed only 1 buck per year. 2 days ago I had a small buck come by that had a broken hind leg, I let him go because he seemed to be getting along pretty good. I don't think it was from a hunter, I believe he was injured in a fight or by a car. We need some kind of a mercy rule here

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i ensure a kill with multiple rounds..im not that great of a shot aside from my bb gun where i am sniper status..i simply do not miss cats and dogs (straysd of course) i hit a dog the other day in the rear at 80 yards with my iron sighted daisy pump..i stepped it off..had to shoot a foot over his back on the run...got his attention..no more peeing on my tires..heeey can i borrow your bow? :wink:

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im going to be honest with you all and all the ones i have put down out of "mercy" i didnt even call in. im not saying it is right or wrong, but the way game officials now are you sometimes are better off that way. besides there was actually no need for me to take the deer in out of the woods. every time i have put one down they are over come with infection that i can smell from a few feet away. im not going to chance eating one like that. the one with the dogs, was to tore up to salvage also. its a shame, but i was just giving them a fast painless death.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    REPS to ya bro, i understand the not calling in situation perfectly...like i dont call the game warden for somebody shooting a deer out of season on their own land when that is their sole source for food. now trespassing is a differant story..they can eat good in jail for that:wink:

15. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    trust me if you smelled those deer you wouldn't have eaten them....the one i tried to gut and as soon as i zipped him open it sent me to vomiting... im not going to risk that for food...

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    CHUM!!!

17. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree, people need to be proficiant with their equipment - however - just because a guy can drive tacks at 30yds with his bow doesn't meen he has the capability to harvest a deer - I think alot of the wounded deer you see are due to people not able to keep their cool under presure - it's one thing to look thru a scope on a rifle and squeeze the trigger when the cross hairs are where you want them but it is another to see a deer (buck or doe) at 10 to 30 yards , pull your bow back, anchor in the same maner as always, look thru your peep, and release the same as in practice while you're shaking like a bird dog crapping peach seeds. Not to make excusses but the art of harvesting a deer with archery equipment is much more than being a good shot - this said anyone who would attempt to hunt with archery equipment without practice is a fool but unfortinatly poor shot placement will be a part of our sport. I lost the first deer I ever hit with an arrow and that has made me a MUCH better archery hunter because of it - I have harvested 16 deer with bow and arrow now and every time I draw back I think about the first one I lost - as harsh as it is we all must learn our own lessons.:cool2:

18. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot of good input here but there is much more to it than has been mentioned. If you plan to hunt from a tree, PRACTICE from a tree ! If your shooting down, Do you bend from the hip so that your holding just as you are when shooting paper ? Do you shoot open handed with a wrist strap so your buck fever don't change your grip ?

Do you shoot mechanical broadheads so that the limb you don't see don't cause the braodhead to steer the arrow ? do you know to add yards shooting uphill and subtract shooting down ?

Do you know the "Soak" rule ? If you don't find your deer in 70 yards back off for 4 hours ? A gut shot deer will die. Left alone it may well do so almost within sight and die quietly. But pushed, I gut shot deer can travel miles. The same think will work more often than not on a single lung shot
    or a diaphragm/liver.

A double lung shot should be the only shot a bow hunter is after IMO. THe heart is protected by the front legs and even with the leg moved forward like you see on the hunting videos, If that deer decides to move between your making up your mind to release and the arrow getting there the leg only has to move inches to deflect or even catch and hold your arrow. Thats a lost deer that may recover or may get an infection and die later.

THe same shot center of body mass on the 3rd rib ( Double lung ) with the same amound of movement will drop a little farther back and become a lung/liver diaphragm shot. A sure kill if you give the animal time.

It would be wonderful if things could be set up where a veteran hunter would/could take newbies under his/her wing and call them to a shot scene. Let them see and learn it all. What color hair, Pink red or blue blood ? Any food matter on the arrow ? How to follow a blood trail.

I was lucky enough to have known hunters who took the time to try and teach me. And the best you can do stuff happens if your hunting with a gun. And thats not even a good start on all that can go wrong hunting with a bow. But all said and done, I loved bow hunting above and beyond any other kind. For all its hardships, it is also the most rewarding IMO.

One other thing I'd like to bring up. A fellow I know killed an old deer this year with a bow. While cleaning the animal he found something strange in the front leg near the "Knee". Once it was cut out and cleaned up, It turned out to be the neck off a milk jug or a gallon of motor oil etc. Not the saftey ring that holds the cap but the neck of the jug.. The deer had grown and the plastic had embedded into its leg till at last the hide had grown closed over it. So people are causing misery for the wildlife even when they never touch a weapon.

Thanks for a great post and a great cause. These are wonderful animals and they have given me far more hours of bliss than I could ever recount. They deserve every effort we can give them to minimise pain and suffering.

And this is not meant to be a put down to anyone shooting fixed blades etc.. PLENTY of good hunters make clean kills with muzzys etc every year. But all said and done, the mechs are the way to point the newbie hunters IMO. Like I said, the deer deserve all we can do..

Thanks again for the post and reps are heading your way.

19. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    If you are not going to practice shot placement and learn the things that can happen when shooting at a deer with your bow then please dont deer hunt . 5 out of 10 shots the deer will drop 6 to 8 inches when hearing the string release on a bow . It is amazing that people will go buy a bow from walmart or some cheap outlet and shoot it into a foam target 5 or 6 times thinking they got it all figured out . Maybe they should practice on bears first .....lol bet they would be quick to learn shot placement then .